JAGD TERRIERS

I am with you there OldNog, there is absolutly no reason why anyone in the UK would need a DJT, although I am English I have lived in Holland for many years now and all my hunting is done in Holland,Germany, and Belgium, with the occasional trip to Blighty thrown in. My opinion of the Jagd Terrier is that it can be used on Wild Boar and it is good at that, very good, but for earth work they are in my mind to mental and are always being damaged and cost a fortune in vets bills. No, aaron01, I would say that if you want a Jagd go first to Germany or Serbia or Croatia and see them work first, then I think that you would agree with what OldNog and myself are saying.

rgds Dave.

i have done a bit of reserch on these and i think this is excatly what we need with the amount of dirt and show stuff bein bred for nothing more than money and no other reason what harm would it do to to import one of these and breed down from it at least i would know what i have

if you know where to look then there is pletny good enough stuff around. what good is adding an overly hard, big and notoriously uninteligent dog, to our already good enough dogs?! You get looked at funny if your terriers over here have a few marks....can you imagen the looks you would get walking a constantly beat up jagd?

The genuine folk stay well clear of the show rubbish, you just got to know who to ask.

The jagd has no place working in this country in my opinion

the way things are at the minute im afraid to ask anyone to sell a pup with the amount of antis tryin to set decent terrier men up i have tryd buying in from a line of well known black dogs well it was supposed to be anyway i put my heart and soul into raring it and all i was left with was an empty pocket and a dog not worth talking about it seems that the once well known breeds are now all bred for show or for money and any decent working stuff being bred are not advertised so how does a young terrier man like me get a decent line of stock with out buying from abroad

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can fetch a jagdterrier from anywhere in europe unless of course the uk, but i believe that someone has a one or two.

the best working bloodlines are from eastern europe and of course from germany. also in Spain you can find very good ones, breeding like proper way and with various bloodlines.

i've found some good ones from 300€ to 600€/700€ (depends if pup or full grown) from german and tcheck bloodlines and with a wide range of structure and weight.

mine was a little high price but now it worth every euro. he is from german and tcheck bloodlines, despite he and one brother have 10 kg and 43 cm at shoulder there is one brother that weights nearly 15 kg and has 50/55 cm at shoulder. this one is in the hand of the breeder and hunts only (of course) wild boar.

is mother is a little bicth with 8 kg and near 30 cm at shoulder and his very efficient underground.

if asked what i like most i must answer that i like more patt's but if they all work and fit the hole doesn't matter what colour or breed is off.

best regards,

OK aaron01 first of all take a look at the sort of terriers that went into the making of the DJT, I think you would be suprised at just how many differant British terrier breeds the Germans threw in there to make what they call the perfect terrier. Also please take note of what Waz is saying, he is one of the better terriermen here in Europe, and has the complete spectrum of European quarry to hunt, and like him I think that the DJT is a great animal but it has to be worked and worked hard, and that is fine if you have the time and the quarry for it, but like he says these terriers do have some very undesirable traits.

rgda Dave.

OK aaron01 first of all take a look at the sort of terriers that went into the making of the DJT, I think you would be suprised at just how many differant British terrier breeds the Germans threw in there to make what they call the perfect terrier. Also please take note of what Waz is saying, he is one of the better terriermen here in Europe, and has the complete spectrum of European quarry to hunt, and like him I think that the DJT is a great animal but it has to be worked and worked hard, and that is fine if you have the time and the quarry for it, but like he says these terriers do have some very undesirable traits.

rgda Dave.

i undersand they are a very aggresive dog and they need plenty of work i can give it the work it needs and what a dog to start my own line from

rgda Dave.

i undersand they are a very aggresive dog and they need plenty of work i can give it the work it needs and what a dog to start my own line from

i do not understand why y wanna have jgt? we have plenty of jgt here and i found patts, beddies... much better. Jgt where made for foresters, they need a lot of hard work, fighting foxes, badgers with one purpose try to kill them or die trayin, fightin wild boars in hard conditions, blood trckin, retreiving....i cant see such a work in GB or Ireland. y wanna dig to foxes, bolt them not to kill them by terrier, y re not allowed to work big game, y do not have wild boars,...if jgt escape he ll fight and try to kill every dog and every animal. they are profis in escaping

Aaron01,

I agree with what is told before me. But everyone to his own. ;)

Importing working dogs is quite an expensive and risky thing, but the laws of your country makes it even harder.

You can not import a pup due to the "TITER test" which requires 6 months after the rabies shot of the dog. At time the dog is minimum about 9 months of age. At a 9-10 months old dog the owner can see if the dog will work or not. If it will work, why would the owner sell it to you, he kept it for 9 months. If it won't work, maybe he will start later or maybe he will not. Keeping the dog to that age (feeding, vaccinating, testing and taking care) may cost a lot.

As in Europe "TITER test" is mostly not required, it every time needs a 6 months period to get the dog from wherever you bring it.*

Just like in the GB there are many dogs not working (even when directly from working stock) it is just the same by DJTs.

Just like in the GB most working people put everything that works with everything that works, DJTs are also bred according to that system (except that here they do not mix breeds) and so the size is not calculable/prognostable.

* I wanted to help importing a DJT to the GB and there was an owner wanting to sell his adult working DJT (could be checked in live) due to financial issues. But he was not willing to have this 6 months period keeping the dog, he rather sold it to someone else that doesn't require this embarrassing test.

ATB,

Anna

intorducing the Jagd over here is just going to end up creating more crap i recon. Some turds are gunna start breeding them young, unproven and even if they dont make the grade they will still get bred with a massive price tag on their heads and before you know it, another terrier breed in this country on its way to ruin.

Leave it in europe :big_boss:

One more thing if you are working rocks and you want a "bolt or kill" dog then a well breed jagdterrier is the dog for you

My Duvadirto Arnold (Rip) died to ground in october doing his job a well built dog,small enough for every earthbut up on the legs for rocks.A proven fox killer.

post-515-1241029282_thumb.jpg

Edited by valerio