April 18th Laurence Town.

May 3rd Rockview Harriers, Kilkenny.

May 17th Mourne Lurcher Terrier Show. Kilkeel County Down.

May 23/24 BASC Game Fair Moira, Lurcher Terrier show Saturday By Gilford working terrier and Lurcher show.

June 27/29 Game and Country, Shanes castle, by the Mid Antrim Fell and Moorland Working Terrier Club.

July 18/19 Ballinlough Irish National Country Fair, Sunday is lurcher and terrier day.

July 25th Tullylish Working Terrier Club. Tullylish. County Armagh

August 22/23 Birr Game and Country fair, County Offaly.

UNKOWN AT THE MOMENT.

??? Dublin Working Terrier Club, Anaghmore.

??? Florencecourt. Co Fermanagh.

???? North West Working Terrier and Lurcher Club, Donemana, Co Tyrone

??????Ballymacad Foxhounds

Hope this hlepf the organisers will likely add their own threads as the time gets near

well chap what part of the country is lawrence town any directions would be great thanks........slip :thumbs:

Florence Court Show is on the 24th May - It is run by the Mid Antrim Terrier & Lurcher Club

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant see see what the problem is about the shows I have been going to Shanes Castle since it started and to most of the others as well and Shanes is the business. They have the best classes, and the most too and the best prizes anywhere in the country and the lads are great as well. The other shows try but they cant compete with Shanes

I read in the News Letter and somewhere else maybe about the prizes this year and it looks like the best ever certainly the best at any game fair in Ireland.

In my experience lots of others have promised big in the past but didn't deliver. The Shanes crowd do deliver the goods and thats's a fact. Even though I haven't got the right stuff at the moment I know were I'm going. It will be to shanes again to see the top dogs compete for the all ireland - nowhere else has that competition despite what they say. Anyway apart from the dogs I like a dander round and compared to anywhere else at least there's something for the wife and kids

Joe

April 18th Laurence Town. County Armagh

May 3rd Rockview Harriers, Kilkenny.

May 17th Mourne Lurcher Terrier Show. Kilkeel County Down.

May 23/24 BASC Game Fair Moira, Lurcher Terrier show Saturday By Gilford working terrier and Lurcher show.

June 27/29 Game and Country, Shanes castle, by the Mid Antrim Fell and Moorland Working Terrier Club.

July 18/19 Ballinlough Irish National Country Fair, Sunday is lurcher and terrier day.

July 25th Tullylish Working Terrier Club. Tullylish. County Armagh

August 22/23 Birr Game and Country fair, County Offaly.

UNKOWN AT THE MOMENT.

??? Dublin Working Terrier Club, Anaghmore.

??? Florencecourt. Co Fermanagh.

??????Ballymacad Foxhounds

Hope this helps the organisers will likely add their own threads as the time gets near

tullylish is co down
Guest ozzy

i just notice somthing about shows u have mention shane castle and birr there no mention of working terrier or lurher are we forgetting somthing here has the judges u mention worked their dogs i know there a ban in uk but there is not in IRELAND YOURS OZZY

i just notice somthing about shows u have mention shane castle and birr there no mention of working terrier or lurher are we forgetting somthing here has the judges u mention worked their dogs i know there a ban in uk but there is not in IRELAND YOURS OZZY

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Well TomW42

What can I say.

Everyone cannot be wrong about Ballywalter and Shanes Castle when they say there are small, disappointing events that are useful for a half day out.

Look at the Moira Facts:

Over 200 stands this year (only 30 crafts by the way). More than 100 fishing and shooting related stands, plus gun fitters, gun engravers, gun re-stockers, antique guns, more gun dealers that the other shows combined (you need to get up to date with your facts) Oh, and by the way, those guys at Moira do not give away trade sites either! On the contrary they are over subscribed this year.

You should also be careful about what you say, it could come back to in the form of a writ with the onus on you to prove it. I'll print this off and pass it to Bill & Derek. I am sure they will be interested in your comments.

When you post here you really should get your facts correct as someone is likely take you to task and expose you as an idiot.

If you really believe that propaganda about Shanes and Birr, that's dangerous fella, you need to get out more. I have been at all the Irish fairs and I know the facts.

When you put down someone's event you do your sport and yourself no credit.

Enjoy your weekend at Moira Demesne, truely Ireland's Biggest and Best game fair. Well, maybe until the Ballinlough Castle Fair on 18 & 19 July. After that it may simply be N.I's Biggest and Best.

See you all at Moira!

SM

Edited by Story Man

Looking forward to Moira this Sat, meeting up with everyone again and really lookin forward to the coursing and the racing :thumbs:

Also looking forward to Florencecourt on Sun, love the setting there, lets hope we get the weather we got last year :thumbs:

Off coursethe judges at Shanes Castle have worked their dogs - some of you guys may be too young to know them - but they are real terrier men - just like Shamie who organises it. In his time probably the best terrier man - work or show in Ireland. Shamie knows a good terrier and a good judge and runs the best shows in Ireland - why else would people copy him!

Well TomW42

What can I say.

Everyone cannot be wrong about Ballywalter and Shanes Castle when they say there are small, disappointing events that are useful for a half day out.

Look at the Moira Facts:

Over 200 stands this year (only 30 crafts by the way). More than 100 fishing and shooting related stands, plus gun fitters, gun engravers, gun re-stockers, antique guns, more gun dealers that the other shows combined (you need to get up to date with your facts) Oh, and by the way, those guys at Moira do not give away trade sites either! On the contrary they are over subscribed this year.

You should also be careful about what you say, it could come back to in the form of a writ with the onus on you to prove it. I'll print this off and pass it to Bill & Derek. I am sure they will be interested in your comments.

When you post here you really should get your facts correct as someone is likely take you to task and expose you as an idiot.

If you really believe that propaganda about Shanes and Birr, that's dangerous fella, you need to get out more. I have been at all the Irish fairs and I know the facts.

Enjoy your weekend at Moira Demesne, truely Ireland's Biggest and Best game fair. Well, maybe until the Ballinlough Castle Fair on 18 & 19 July. After that it may simply be N.I's Biggest and Best.

See you all at Moira!

SM

Rookie Hunter,

Are you not putting down other shows and what about a writ. I said Moira was OK but its just a copy - Shanes starts things off like the jousting - Moira follows. What about these Fests - medieval fest - Food Fests etc - just silly names for not a lot. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Moira always primises a lot and in my opinion which I'm entitled too doesn't deliver half of what it says. Its a copy of Shanes not the oroiginal and what about the one in the ROI - it too is just a copy of the one at Birr.

You sound like an advert for Moira which appears famous for advertising whats not on - would you be part of the organising team? - you appear to know Derek & Bill quite well. Last year we were supposed to see Top English guns what did we get the one gundealer who has always been there the part-time dealer from somewhere in derry with a few guns! I have been going to Moira for years and every year see the claim nearly 200 stands - I have yet to see them - last year huge hospitality tent on the main ring lots of craft stands but as I say one gundealer! I wonder how many terrier & lurcher men were invited into the hosptality tent? We never reach the main site or arena but are stuck away in a corner - are they ashamed of us?

At least at Shanes and Clandeboye we are part of the show.

At Shanes if it rains the show goes on - the last time it rained at Moira the fields were a muck heap and it took ages to get my van pulleded out.

We don't hear much from Moira about prizes - is it not a fact that Shanes Castle and Birr Castle run the all Ireland Game Fair Championships with top prizes. What did the top terrier and Moira get last year? What did the top clay shooter get last year at Moira - oh sorry I forgot there wassn't much clay shooting at Moira last year. Something else which was promised and wasn't delivered on.

Where was the Game at Moira last year?

Do you think its you who has swallowed hook line and sinker the propaganda from Moira and now you are pouring it out.

I go to all the Fairs and I would rank them as most people do Shanes 1st, Moira 2nd and Balwalter 3rd.

Shanes is definitely top for terriers which is my major interest tho I like a bit of shooting too. I'll be counting the gun stands at Moira.

Tom

Guest ozzy

nobody said semus didnt work his dogs and was respected in the terrier game a long time ago but ye would get a lot more support if ye put up better pizes plus stop ignoring the fact that lurher and terrier should be treated the same as gundogs plus u should be promoting hunting in both side of the border this is my opinion that is why the hunting ban was brought in uk hunting people ie hounds terrier lurcher gundogs fishing all country sports didnt stick together i have never seen samus suporting any of the shows in the south and how many do u support yours in sport ozzy

Well TomW42

What can I say.

Look at the Moira Facts:

See you all at Moira!

SM

Rookie Hunter,

Are you not putting down other shows and what about a writ. I said Moira was OK but its just a copy - Shanes starts things off like the jousting - Moira follows. What about these Fests - medieval fest - Food Fests etc - just silly names for not a lot. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Moira always primises a lot and in my opinion which I'm entitled too doesn't deliver half of what it says. Its a copy of Shanes not the oroiginal and what about the one in the ROI - it too is just a copy of the one at Birr.

You sound like an advert for Moira which appears famous for advertising whats not on - would you be part of the organising team? - you appear to know Derek & Bill quite well. Last year we were supposed to see Top English guns what did we get the one gundealer who has always been there the part-time dealer from somewhere in derry with a few guns! I have been going to Moira for years and every year see the claim nearly 200 stands - I have yet to see them - last year huge hospitality tent on the main ring lots of craft stands but as I say one gundealer! I wonder how many terrier & lurcher men were invited into the hosptality tent? We never reach the main site or arena but are stuck away in a corner - are they ashamed of us?

At Shanes if it rains the show goes on - the last time it rained at Moira the fields were a muck heap and it took ages to get my van pulleded out.

We don't hear much from Moira about prizes - is it not a fact that Shanes Castle and Birr Castle run the all Ireland Game Fair Championships with top prizes. What did the top terrier and Moira get last year? What did the top clay shooter get last year at Moira - oh sorry I forgot there wassn't much clay shooting at Moira last year. Something else which was promised and wasn't delivered on.

Do you think its you who has swallowed hook line and sinker the propaganda from Moira and now you are pouring it out.

I go to all the Fairs and I would rank them as most people do Shanes 1st, Moira 2nd and Balwalter 3rd.

Shanes is definitely top for terriers which is my major interest tho I like a bit of shooting too. I'll be counting the gun stands at Moira.

Tom

As a true field sports man I have to say that I am completely DISGUSTED, having read what I can only describe as the antics of two spoilt children in a playground. Obviously both TomW42 and Story Man are connected in some way or another with the respective shows in Shanes Castle and Moira; and if either are what is out there flying the flag for country sports then God Help Us! True field sports enthusiasts will vote with their feet and only they can be the judge and jury for field sports events. Surely most true enthusiasts will support all such events. Why don't you both get a life and channel your efforts into something more constructive like promoting our sport so that my children and others children will have a sport to go into - before it is taken from us completely!!

Well TomW42

What can I say.

Look at the Moira Facts:

See you all at Moira!

SM

Rookie Hunter,

Tom

As a true field sports man I have to say that I am completely DISGUSTED, having read what I can only describe as the antics of two spoilt children in a playground. Obviously both TomW42 and Story Man are connected in some way or another with the respective shows in Shanes Castle and Moira; and if either are what is out there flying the flag for country sports then God Help Us! True field sports enthusiasts will vote with their feet and only they can be the judge and jury for field sports events. Surely most true enthusiasts will support all such events. Why don't you both get a life and channel your efforts into something more constructive like promoting our sport so that my children and others children will have a sport to go into - before it is taken from us completely!!

Hands Up - point taken! I have helped with the Terrier & Lurcher racing at Shanes and have a loyalty to it because I know the guys involved are real fierld sports men. Along with a couple of other guys I was asked to get the information about the prizes on offer this year on the hunting web sites as Shamie doesn't use the computer. I also used to help out at Ballywalter and I felt I had to respond to SM comments about the other Fairs. And unlike him I didn't say Moira or Ballwalter was poor or only worth a half day. In fact in spite of the mud or possibly becuase of it I enjoyed Ballywalter yet SM describes it in derogettive terms.

The organisers of Shanes have always given the terrier & lurcher men a fair crack of the whip and put us central in the show. They worked hard to get sponsorship for the Terriers & Lurchers but they tell me its much hardfer to get than that for clay shooting or gundogs - so they often have to supply prizes themselves. And it is a fact that the prizes at Shanes are better than elsewhere - this Year's Barbour Coat and £100 each for top terrier &lurcher are FACTS.

I felt their job wouldn't be made any easier to get sponsorship if people are knocking the event or making what appears misleading claims about their own event. As you say I will be at all three Fairs this year, Ballywalter and both Moira and Shanes - and people will vote with their feet.

nobody said semus didnt work his dogs and was respected in the terrier game a long time ago but ye would get a lot more support if ye put up better pizes plus stop ignoring the fact that lurher and terrier should be treated the same as gundogs plus u should be promoting hunting in both side of the border this is my opinion that is why the hunting ban was brought in uk hunting people ie hounds terrier lurcher gundogs fishing all country sports didnt stick together i have never seen samus suporting any of the shows in the south and how many do u support yours in sport ozzy

Don't worry I have raised the issue of the difference in gundog and terrier& lurcher prizes before with. I have raised this with Shamie & direcrtly with Albert Titterington. He points out that he has always supported the terriers and kept us in the centre of the shows with ring parking and everything - he says Shamie & Matt keep the pressure on him.

Albert tells me that while sponsors are happy to help sponsor clay pigeon shooting, fishing and gundogs they are reluctant to sponsor the Terriers & Lurchers, thats why he has to sponsor them himself through the magazine. If we can suggest sponsors he will talk to them. Any ideas guys? He pointed out that Sunday Life and him are running a photographic section caled Pup Idol ( Yuk!) were you can enter your terrier or lurcher in the working dog sectionfor good prize and good top prize. He thinks things like this will help get sponsors used to getying involved with us.

However better news at Shanes is that Barbour, for the first time, have put up the first prize of a £400 coat for top dog to celebrate 21 years of the All Ireland and I understand the magazine has put up £100 each for top terrier & lurcher plus Feedwell are sponsoring food and other prize money & trophies. Plus for both Birr and Shanes we get two day admission for the price of one.

Don't know what prizes there are for Birr - I'll ask Shamie and let you know.

Tom

But nothing to stop you guys putting the pressure on Albert for better prizes or on Shamie when you see him at irishgamefair@btinternet.com