been called out

Guest GoneToGround1

alot of people these days want big numbers, 'let the rabbits breed so theres alot more in the winter' is the talk i keep hearing, something alot of farmers dont want! i think a farmer would rather you dig down to a nest of young rabbits and the mother then digging down to 1 rabbit, however i dont hunt out of season, my summertime is spent with the fishing rod and airgun but the winter is spent with terriers lurchers and ferrets, ATB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gaz100604

yes i do know what your saying regarding 10 doe rabbits and you have quite alot of rabbits on your permission to do all year around...

as myself i have a few smallish permissions and a very large one with the larger one is teeming with rabbits..

my view on it is if i hunt all year round then inevitably in a years to come mabey take 10 years but i would wipe the place out..obviously not completly but would ruin it i think...

the reason i take the break is simply..take the 10 rabbits that you dont kill gives you 100 rabbits for next season but what about we say 50 doe you do get that would give ya 500 for the next season hence keeping healty numbers up...

i know there just estimates of how many would be there but you get what im trying to say...

i just think in managing it with a break will give me plenty more years of great sport than if i hunted it all year round...

iv nothing against any lad that does hunt all year round just saying what i do and believe in...

after all i hope in years to come when im too old for it my kids will be able to enjoy and the same sport as me and have respect for the game which they hunt on the very same permissions...

Guest gaz100604
alot of people these days want big numbers, 'let the rabbits breed so theres alot more in the winter' is the talk i keep hearing, something alot of farmers dont want! i think a farmer would rather you dig down to a nest of young rabbits and the mother then digging down to 1 rabbit, however i dont hunt out of season, my summertime is spent with the fishing rod and airgun but the winter is spent with terriers lurchers and ferrets, ATB

yes i do know what your saying with regarding the farmers and mabey there stricter in the uk..

regarding myself..i have never lost permission from not hunting during the summer

and the farmers seem to be more than happy with the rabbits i get during the season...

and like yourself i do pick up the fishing rod when i finish up with the hunting :thumbs:

not wanting to start an argument but it seems when most of people on here have been struggling with rabbit numbers this season and if the rabbits are not givin a chance to breed ie.during the off season as it now is,but a lot of folk are still ferreting :blink::blink:

i know ye say its pest control this time of year but doing the same thing during the season and calling it sport :blink:

is the permission really worth it if you have to ferret it all year round?

could there be that many rabbits there if there not givin a chance to breed?

i just think if more gave there permission a break from mid march till sep then it would be all the better for it..

i also know there is no closed season but do we do it for pest control or sport?

is there a difference between the two?

i myself do it for the sport and think its counter productive ferreting between the above months on my permission...

to much breaking into nests of rabbits or digging alot of holes for a young rabbit that the ferret is dragging around under the ground...

i know you still get the bigger rabbits but full of young or just born young,either way are dead..so kill one rabbit and lose up to 10 rabbits for next season as they would prob breed twice....counter productive!!

not meaning to offend anyone,just my view on it...

understand what your saying mate, but the thing is 90% of people on here wouldn,t choose to ferret in spring/summer,it,s a pain in the arse,but as i,ve said before,it isn,t our call to make. if the farmer says he wants you on there ,then you have to go,sport for us is pest control for him. you have to show willing or you end up loosing your permission.just use your head and only take what you need to keep the farmer smiling....

There's no unwritten law that says you have to stop ferreting for the spring and summer, the rabbits are still being shot, snared and trapped all year round, its more for the ferrets sake I stop this time of the year, not the rabbits, if rabbits have enough good food they will breed all year round.

i do realise that there is no written law to stop ferreting or a closed season for rabbiting...

and do accept that their being shot,gased e.t.c. which for me none are a form of sport.

i do believe ferreting is a sport...

just find that some when there doing it this time of year are quick to say there doing it soley for a pest control purpose.

for me i wouldnt do it at all unless for the sport of it and do believe that a break to ensure the rabbit numbers will be there for the next seasons sport...

i think if its done this way then 1 good permission if managed right can last a lifetime...

i also know they do breed all year round but not at the same rate as from this time of year on..

i have gotten a young rabbit in november but thats the only one all season but i know if i went out now it would be

alot more...

i do think that ye lads over there may have to keep going in a way to get new permission or keep old permission

i just am asking is it worth it to do so...

surely thats why in alot of lads have struggled with outings this season and then ask the question where have all the rabbits gone :blink:

surely its better for this our sport that we manage our permission and give the rabbits a chance to get their numbers back up so in the years ahead their is plenty of rabbits there for our passion of ferreting and lamping...

surely even when there classed as pest,s that we have some respect for the humble rabbit as there the reason that we have some great memories of some great days sport...

Spot on!

A good rabbiter will manage the rabbit population as well as a good farmer manages his animals.

If they are hit hard during the right time, then there is no need to keep going throughout the breeding season...

Many people only get out a couple of times a month, some only a couple of times a season.

Then there are others that get out 2 or 3 times a week, in all weathers and conditions making an impact on the population...

Wipe the rabbit out from hunting them all year round and I for one won't be spending 2-3 days a week, in snow wind rain and hail, walking miles, digging big holes for nothing, if there's nothing to hunt, then the good rabbiters will find some work for there animals elsewhere.

People juggle the terms 'SPORT ' and 'PEST CONTROL ' against each other to justify there reasons for doing what they do.

I stick another term into this, and thats 'WORK'.

This is the balance in-between 'SPORT and PEST CONTROL'

You have WORKing animals, without the WORK, you will never have a great WORKforce in your animals.

The WORK that my animals and myself do keeps me going back year after year, all conditions, in that small 5 month window that we see as our season.

It's not for financial or egotistical gain, but for the chance for my animals to prove to me that I have given them the chance to shine.

Without the WORK, this will never happen...

If the rabbit problem was that serious to the farmer, then he would be out sorting it himself or or paying for a service...

If he wants to pay for the service, and pay properly, then maybee a few could be like the guy's of old, warreners, whose job it was to kill rabbits.

Gas, Gun, Ferret, Snare, Trap, Rifle and Dog would all play a part, but i'm sure any farmer or landowner will not devote his time to unless he has an interest in it.

If there is no need, then don't cut your own throats lads unless you can see the bigger picture.

Edited by Brimmer
not wanting to start an argument but it seems when most of people on here have been struggling with rabbit numbers this season and if the rabbits are not givin a chance to breed ie.during the off season as it now is,but a lot of folk are still ferreting :blink::blink:

i know ye say its pest control this time of year but doing the same thing during the season and calling it sport :blink:

i just think if more gave there permission a break from mid march till sep then it would be all the better for it..

i also know there is no closed season but do we do it for pest control or sport?

i myself do it for the sport and think its counter productive ferreting between the above months on my permission...

to much breaking into nests of rabbits or digging alot of holes for a young rabbit that the ferret is dragging around under the ground...

i know you still get the bigger rabbits but full of young or just born young,either way are dead..so kill one rabbit and lose up to 10 rabbits for next season as they would prob breed twice....counter productive!!

understand what your saying mate, but the thing is 90% of people on here wouldn,t choose to ferret in spring/summer,it,s a pain in the arse,but as i,ve said before,it isn,t our call to make. if the farmer says he wants you on there ,then you have to go,sport for us is pest control for him. you have to show willing or you end up loosing your permission.just use your head and only take what you need to keep the farmer smiling....

thats the way it is with me mate and agree with what you say , i dont like the idea of hunting spring and summer but i have to go or loose it then what do we do in winter. i dont take them all i just keep the horse trainers and land owners happy. i have been doing it long enough to know what i`m doing.

If you have to do a job Takman, then get it it done, and nobody will judge you on it! ;)

But if you are trying to secure future permisssion, then all of your work may be in vain if you wipe out your permission. Tell them you will sort it in the correct season. ;)

Guest gaz100604

thats the way it is with me mate and agree with what you say , i dont like the idea of hunting spring and summer but i have to go or loose it then what do we do in winter. i dont take them all i just keep the horse trainers and land owners happy. i have been doing it long enough to know what i`m doing.

nobody wants to lose permission so you have to keep the farmers happy..

think im lucky in that way that the farmers are not as strict with me...

and dont doubt that you know what your doing as i have seen alot of good bags of rabbits from the ferreting section over the season ;)

nobody wants to lose permission so you have to keep the farmers happy..

think im lucky in that way that the farmers are not as strict with me...

and dont doubt that you know what your doing as i have seen alot of good bags of rabbits from the ferreting section over the season ;)

the rabbits keep digging holes in the gallops they dont want any horses with broken legs i dont go every week maybe once or twice a month or if they ring me like last week , and as i said earlier i know how many to leave