cant be giving a good name to the sport

From a local newspaper.

Published Date:

20 March 2009

SECURITY has been stepped up at the conservation site in a bid to protect the remains of their flock of rare sheep from further dog attacks.

Staff at the Bronze Age conservation site were left with no choice but to take action after they lost three more sheep in a second vicious attack by two lurchers on Sunday (15 March).

Now the sheep, which are used to roaming free in their field, are having to spend their evenings locked away in a barn for their own protection after seven animals were killed in two attacks leaving just 10 remain in the flock

Police have taken statements and have been gathering evidence at the site in a bid to catch the owners of the dogs responsible.

Investigating officer said: "These vicious attacks are alarming, especially at such a popular tourist attraction in the city.

"We would like to hear from anyone who saw dogs in the area at the time of these attacks."

The learning officer at the site said although both animals and staff had been traumatised by the events which have taken place within the space of a week they were hopeful they had turned a corner.

He said: "The good news is that all the surviving sheep have finished their antibiotic course and all their wounds are healing nicely.

"The pregnant ewes are doing well and we believe they are carrying six lambs which is fantastic.

"And Henry the Ram, who has fathered them all, is back to his old self strutting about again after he was badly mauled.

"Following police advice we have moved the sheep closer to the centre and they have really taken the move in their stride.

"I don't blame the dogs for this, I blame the owners for letting it happen."

Today, a spokeswoman for the RSPCA, warned the dog owners they could face a jail term if caught and also urged members of the public to come forward with any information.

She said: "Under the Animal Welfare Act owners of dog's which have caused a huge amount of pain and distress to other animals, such as in this case, can be liable for up to six months in jail and/or a £20,000 fine."

The sheep, which are from the rare and endangered Soay breed, a close match to the kind of sheep Bronze Age Fen dwellers would have kept are about two-thirds of the size of modern-day sheep and added: "Children who visit us love the sheep and like us they can't wait for the lambs to be born."

Right.

Prior learned how to sheep farm to further his knowledge as to how Bronze Age farmers might have operated. He's not one for pissing around, so i've heard, so I'm rather surprised he hasn't gone out there with a shotgun......

anytime something happens like this. the finger is always pointed at the lurchers! which is no suprise really when the RSPCA are involved

The point was made in the original piece that it wasn't the dog's fault, but the owner's.

wonder if the luchers seen were actually the ones who did the damage? Could have been guilty by association?

There are a couple of Soay breeders near to us, if Kye would "let" me have sheep, they would definitely be Soays!

its funny really...lurchers are probably the only breed that are actively trained not to bother sheep...stock breaking is one of the first things a lurcher is taught.......i serprised they didnt say they were rabbid pitbull terrier greyhounds form hell....

Guest jt750
anytime something happens like this. the finger is always pointed at the lurchers! which is no suprise really when the RSPCA are involved

And who trains/owns the lurchers ...READ the post its the owners

"its funny really...lurchers are probably the only breed that are actively trained not to bother sheep...stock breaking is one of the first things a lurcher is taught.......i serprised they didnt say they were rabbid pitbull terrier greyhounds form hell...."

Correct to a point.

RESPONSIBLE lurcher owners actively train their lurchers not to bother sheep. Unfortunately there a lot of wankers who just like killing things and are no more countrymen or hunters than Bill Oddie. These are the type of pricks that probably think hard of feeding their poor dogs let alone stock breaking them.

And, when something like this does happen, their dogs will be shot or taken away from them, but they won't care because they never had any real interest in lurchers in the first place.

They'll just leave the RESPONSIBLE lurcher community to pay the price and face the abuse for their idiocity.

They'll just leave the RESPONSIBLE lurcher community to pay the price and face the abuse for their idiocity.

You could probably say that of any breed, pointer.

And indeed hunting as a whole. :(

Sorry Droid, you're absolutely correct.

I just said lurchers because that's the breed / type that was mentioned at the start of the topic. It also sickens me to see "hard men" with their Rotties and Bull terriers encouraging them to be vicious and snarling maniacs.

When you see idiots like this it's hard to blame the general public for thinking that Rotties / Bulls etc. are dangerous dogs, even though they are wrong.

If you walk your well behaved, mannerly Rottie / Bull etc. in a public park you will just blend into the background and people won't even notice you and your perfect ambassador for the breed.

Unfortunately, if Johnny Chav brings his snarling, barking, unmuzzled idiot hound to a public park, everybody will notice it and base their opinion of the breed on this example, rather than the previous example. Human nature I'm afraid.

It's the owners that make the dogs look bad.