I've got a 6 Month old Bull Terrier Pup and He's turning out great! I'd like to Introduce Him to Water and hopefully He'll love It, I understand that It's all about building confidence but how would you lot go about It?

He's pretty outgoing so hopefully won't be too hard..

Butch

Are you wanting him to swim or just be used to puddles and generally getting wet?

If you want him to like swimming, although it is up to him, I would start teaching him retrieval games and take another dog who already swims to a loch or pond (they can get abit frightened of the sea and the waves). Just play games, throwing the toy around the place, getting him to bring it back, or letting the other dog bring it back. Make it a fun competition. Then throw the toy into the water and he will see the other dog go in and probably follow and off he will swim, if he likes that sort of thing.

I have a lurcher who swims alot and 2 patts. One patt won't get his paws wet, the other sets off for a swim every time she sees a stream or the pond. She loves it. She is not too keen on the sea, though, because of the waves.

I'd like Him to Swim then I can use It to keep Him fit.. :yes:

I'll try encourage Him Into a really Shallow River that'll just get His Feet wet at first then work up from there..

Butch

Honest right, the best way to do it i just chuck him in.

yeah be abit of a shock at first, but keep on doin it, soon you wnt get him out of it.

Thas how my shepherd learnt, she will retrive out of water & cross a canal to give a bite when doing man work.

I have known dogs, once thrown in, instantly out of their depth or feet touching the ground, hate water forever more. Won't go near it, in it or by it.

I would slowly introduce the dog to water. I would walk him through puddles on a lead. Don't make a big deal of it because he is just walking with you nicely with good manners - all part of an overall training. Then, if he is not tip-toeing through or trying to go round, do the fetch game near a calm quiet pond.

Introduce another dog that likes to swim and fetch and off you go! My bitch patt oftens takes herself off for a few laps and some white water rafting on a walk - she loves it! The other dog patt would rather have his legs chopped off at the knees and minces through streams grumbling all the way. But, having said that, you can pick 'em both up and chuck them in a water trough when filthy and he doesn't mind that!

Edited by Pignut