fly fishing for carp

Guest jt750

seen mattie hayes do it with blobs ...you know orange balls look like daphnia ..white ones looking like bread and ones looking like dog biscuit floaters ...and it looks the dogs of a sport

easy way is to get them eating off the top with a few handful of dog biscuit then glue a small peice of foam onto your hook ie yellow so you can see it and make sure hook is pertrouding then dip in marmite and cast!!!! wait for slurp then strike then game on great laugh

just wondering if anyone catches carp on fly, if yes then what fly?

one stillwater i fish for trout is home to a resident population of common carp and whilst the club concerned would have all the carp removed i find them excellent sport on a little five wt rod

i have targeted them on and off for a few years now, usually when the trout are nowhere to be seen, and have found that the best method when the water is warm and they are feeding near to the surface is to use a pheasant tail nymph fished maybe a foot or so subsurface, they cannot resist this fly and whilst they seem to avoid all other nymphs and dries i put their way they will take this nymph when feeding

good luck

fin and fur

seen mattie hayes do it with blobs ...you know orange balls look like daphnia ..white ones looking like bread and ones looking like dog biscuit floaters ...and it looks the dogs of a sport

ive seen these little blobs, how are you supposed to fish them? just cast out and leave them to float or let them sink on a sinking line?

Up until i was 19 my biggest carp was caught on a "Peter Ross". And boy did it run well!! Straight to the backing!!

[/quote

were you fishing for carp at the time or was it caught by accident? was the fly fished like you would fish for trout?

were you fishing for carp at the time or was it caught by accident? was the fly fished like you would fish for trout?

I was actually fishing a trout water that was very deep. About May time it was and there was quite a decent hatch on, managed to bag a good few rainbows off the top when i decided to try something just under the surface......As luck would have it the carp just floated past and i cast in front of it. The lips opened and the gills flared and i struck . As simple as that really.