Cant get shots to group

Hi,

My first post and i hope someone can help.

last year i bought a secondhand 6.5x55 Mannlicher Professional. Once i got the rifle home i went through the zeoring process and no matter how hard i tried i could not get groups below 5" from 50 yrds. The rifle had been threaded for a mod when i bought it and I was shooting it with a T8 and a Zeiss Scope. I have tried to look at the potential problems that could be limiting the accuracy. I have discounted a bad scope and hopefully the operator (I can shoot tight groups with my.22 at that range) and i am using Norma ammunition.

On closer examination of the threading on the rifle I have noticed that it sits at a very slight angle to the barrel and therefore the mod will also be at a slight angle. When i shoot it there is no evidence of the bullet colliding with the mod but i wonder if this could be the problem why the rifle is not shooting?

If anyone has any ideas then i would be interested to hear them?

thanks

DRJ

Hi,

My first post and i hope someone can help.

last year i bought a secondhand 6.5x55 Mannlicher Professional. Once i got the rifle home i went through the zeoring process and no matter how hard i tried i could not get groups below 5" from 50 yrds. The rifle had been threaded for a mod when i bought it and I was shooting it with a T8 and a Zeiss Scope. I have tried to look at the potential problems that could be limiting the accuracy. I have discounted a bad scope and hopefully the operator (I can shoot tight groups with my.22 at that range) and i am using Norma ammunition.

On closer examination of the threading on the rifle I have noticed that it sits at a very slight angle to the barrel and therefore the mod will also be at a slight angle. When i shoot it there is no evidence of the bullet colliding with the mod but i wonder if this could be the problem why the rifle is not shooting?

If anyone has any ideas then i would be interested to hear them?

thanks

DRJ

Hi DRJ

Assume the scope/rings are on the rifle tightly and the barrel is screwed firmly to the stock and the barrel is not touching the front of the fore end?

Have you tried the same distance with the mod off? If not that is your first task.

If your results are the same and bearing in mind what you say about the threading, I would take the rifle back to the shop/previous owner and ask them/him to prove there is nothing wrong with the rifle.

Even with factory ammo, at 50 yards that 6.5 should virtually group one holers.

Assuming all of the above is ok, I would suggest that the crown on the rifle may be affected, as a result of a poor threading job.

Matty

excellent advice from matty there, if all else fails chck the crown for any slight damage, Also how many rounds has the gun fired has it had a good cleaning, de-coppering....... try this also.....

Assuming all of the above is ok, I would suggest that the crown on the rifle may be affected, as a result of a poor threading job.

Matty

excellent advice from matty there, if all else fails chck the crown for any slight damage, Also how many rounds has the gun fired has it had a good cleaning, de-coppering....... try this also.....

Gents, thanks for the advice, I will have a go with no silence on tomorrow and let you know how I get on. I have given the rifle a thorough cleaning including decoppering so hopefully its not a cleaning issue

Dan