training cockers .

A lot of cockers a very soft these days so you need to be gentle with them.

I've just started a training programme with my young pup & she would collapse if I bollocked her. so it's a case of gently putting her right EVERY time she does wrong.

One of the hardest thinks to do is to get a cocker to sit!!!!!!

Know what you mean when you bollock em! ive a six month old bitch goes into a ball if you raise your voice to her

my 8 month old bitch is so hard lol i dont belive in electric collers but she would nrrd the mains lol going to enjoy training her if i can do her i can do any dog i love it

A lot of cockers a very soft these days so you need to be gentle with them.

I've just started a training programme with my young pup & she would collapse if I bollocked her. so it's a case of gently putting her right EVERY time she does wrong.

One of the hardest thinks to do is to get a cocker to sit!!!!!!

Have trained a few cockers myself and would agree with the above axcept the sitting bit.

I have always found that cockers are slightly "cooler" temperate dogs compared to springers. I reckon they think more before acting.

I did avoid pedigrees and went for the less pure tho'. Bloody ears were a pain for burrs and infections. If they're disobedient, check thir ears. It may be because the're temporarily deaf!

Swampy

A good friend of mine breeds a very good cocker now and then, in Northumberland... if you want details PM me :thumbs:

hi all,

thanks very much to everyone replying, it sounds like patience is the way to go with a cocker, can anyone recommend some good reading regarding training, thanks again.

A good friend of mine breeds a very good cocker now and then, in Northumberland... if you want details PM me :thumbs:

hi all,

thanks very much to everyone replying, it sounds like patience is the way to go with a cocker, can anyone recommend some good reading regarding training, thanks again.

hi all, it hasn't been mentioned but does a cocker need to hip and eyed scored thanks.

hi all,

hi all, it hasn't been mentioned but does a cocker need to hip and eyed scored thanks.

A few breeders have started eye scoring & DNA checks but haven't seen any doing HIP scores.

Best thing to buy in terms of training (other than good lessons) is Simon Tyers DVD set (Hawcroft Gundogs). Not a cheap set but excellent to watch over & over.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all,

Joe Irving "their learning chain" the best book of the 30 odd that Ive read