Best Pellet

Guest Scuba1

IMHO whether domed, hollow point or pointed pellet is not as important as accuracy and therefore You may want to try out what your gun spits out best. As for brands...... pigeons cant read what is printed on the tin anyway and don't care what kind of pellet goes through their head. As long as you can hit them on the noggin, they are not going to stay in the tree.

Try what works best in your gun and stick with it.

HTH

Michael

IMHO whether domed, hollow point or pointed pellet is not as important as accuracy and therefore You may want to try out what your gun spits out best. As for brands...... pigeons cant read what is printed on the tin anyway and don't care what kind of pellet goes through their head. As long as you can hit them on the noggin, they are not going to stay in the tree.

HTH

Michael

Right i hear you cool, ive started trying to aim for the base of their necks recently, as my garden is only small

ive hit a couple in the chest area & on a couple of occasions, theyve flown off & in one incident, ive hit one in the

back & it stayed on the floor for around a couple minutes, when i went out & got really close, it somehow was able

to fly off. cheers for the advice.

HTH

Michael

Hello Michael, as you say they all "work" :yes: some of the cheaper lesser known brands are superb and it is us, having played right into the manufacturer's trap who have created the "pellet fussier than ever" situation and will pay the price unfortunately :(

Apart from that, how the hell are you? :drink:

What make of gun do you have? maybe a member with the same gun can point you in the right direction with pellet choice, I myself stick to domed pellets. :)

Gamo Shadow Sport 177, yes i believe that as all air-rifles are different, then every pellet will fire differently from different rifles, hope to hear from any member with a Gamo Shadow.

Cheers.

What type of pellet is the most suitable to take out a wood pigeon ? :blink:

You've seen my collection of pellets Mikey (21 varoius brands) pop round and i'll test the Air Arms pellets in your rifle, they are very well made, accurate and they spread well on impact. For long range head shots AA's in my rifles, short range fun once in a while (15 yards) crow magnum 8.8 grain hollows and pile drivers 21 grain loaded backwards. For your springer the crow magnums are about the maximun grain i would consider due to spring damage.

What type of pellet is the most suitable to take out a wood pigeon ? :blink:

You've seen my collection of pellets Mikey (21 varoius brands) pop round and i'll test the Air Arms pellets in your rifle, they are very well made, accurate and they spread well on impact. For long range head shots AA's in my rifles, short range fun once in a while (15 yards) crow magnum 8.8 grain hollows and pile drivers 21 grain loaded backwards. For your springer the crow magnums are about the maximun grain i would consider due to spring damage.

Sweet as a nut me old mucker!

Yeah ive been using the second tin of Air Arms i purchased ,& yes as you advised been using those exclusively.

Im thinking next time i go to the gun shop to pick up some Crow Magnums also, maybe some Accupells as another member advised.

Anyway been thinking about this trip abroad havent seen much of your shooting lately, thanks for the help & advice

youve given me about everything to do with shooting, & targeting as being new to this game.

Will link up before i leave happy-hunting & expect some rabbit pie when i get back :yes: also hoping you show me how

you skin your rabbit kills, will have to pick up a good rabbit knife on my return. :thumbs:

Edited by Mikeypower007

That is debatable as there is a good chance you will hit its crop. If this is full of seed or such it is liken toa bullet proof vest and you are unlikely to kill every time. It does work but not necessarily every time. However side on, if you aim just below the base of the wing a chest shot from that angle is more likely to end in a succesful kill.

All the best

Freddy