Pigeon Decoy problem

Hello all, i was out yesterday with pigeon decoys shell type,and straight away the birds started coming in.

However as soon as they flew round and then came in to land they seemed to get spooked for some reason? :angry: we were totaly coverd so they didnt see us.The crows to were coming in and then getting spooked so can any one suggest anything the decoys were set out in a v shape(sort of).

Still managed to get 2 though

Any help would be of great help

Cheers Lindsay ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all, i was out yesterday with pigeon decoys shell type,and straight away the birds started coming in.

However as soon as they flew round and then came in to land they seemed to get spooked for some reason? :angry: we were totaly coverd so they didnt see us.The crows to were coming in and then getting spooked so can any one suggest anything the decoys were set out in a v shape(sort of).

Still managed to get 2 though

Any help would be of great help

Cheers Lindsay ;)

yeah they may be shiney, however. pigeons have good eye sight, once they in close they do have a good look round for preditors or anything realy out of the ordinary. if you can! try real dead pigeons if you can? try two small clumps of decoys with a gap in between? the gap offers smwhere safe to land and an exit for them. it seems to hold them better for coming in.

I use half shell type decoys and my mate uses the sillsocks...i think the sillsocks maybe better but i have still had some good shooting on the shells

I set mine up in a U Horseshoe type pattern facing into the wind...but any sudden movement will scare them off..

also any down pigeon which is belly up will do the same,

Are you sure they were not seeing you moving in the hide

I use half shell type decoys and my mate uses the sillsocks...i think the sillsocks maybe better but i have still had some good shooting on the shells

I set mine up in a U Horseshoe type pattern facing into the wind...but any sudden movement will scare them off..

also any down pigeon which is belly up will do the same,

Are you sure they were not seeing you moving in the hide

i agree with willow1 here on the pattern's shape and about moving in the hide. for the hide you need a good solid backdrop to bulid you hide in front of, if there is nothing natural that you can use i would use a couple of nets at the back. for decoys i rekon that as much variation in the decoys as possible is good. the guy that i go with has about three types of decoys and i have full bodied & 2 differnet types of shell. when you mix all of these up it looks very good. hope this helps a bit.

good luck next time

the verminator

• 2 weeks later...