a good finding dog

whenever i go hunting the first thing we do is let the dogs lose.thats what i call hunting.but i know felas who go out with the dogs on leads and bring them up to the set because they know where the sets are.now ive got no problem with this,each to their own,i just dont think its as exiting as letting your dog find his own game and seeing how good he really is. any thoughts on this?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ON SOME OCCASSIONS this maybe ok, but if you have more than one terrier with you,you dont want any more than one getting into an earth. also we have to respect the fact that we are hunting mostly on other peoples land,and young dogs etc can worry sheep and other livestock .I personally prefer dogs on leads until needed,unless i,m sure theres no harm they can cause.Why take the chance? and ruin your permission and maybe frindship with the farmer

:blink:

You say dogs ,so do you double up ?

And for me the definition of a good finding dog is done below ground

we go out with a pack of terriers and a lurchers and they all work well together,i know where your coming from,you dont want all your dogs in at the one time,maybe im old school .when i go out anyway im not goin after the one thing.and as for the definition of a good finding dog? im on about nose. any dog can find if hes brought up on a lead.and a pup should be trained to livestock first day if hes on a lead or not.

we go out with a pack of terriers and a lurchers and they all work well together,i know where your coming from,you dont want all your dogs in at the one time,maybe im old school .when i go out anyway im not goin after the one thing.and as for the definition of a good finding dog? im on about nose. any dog can find if hes brought up on a lead.and a pup should be trained to livestock first day if hes on a lead or not.

You are saying that any dog can find ? what are you on about here rabbits ?

ON SOME OCCASSIONS this maybe ok, but if you have more than one terrier with you,you dont want any more than one getting into an earth. also we have to respect the fact that we are hunting mostly on other peoples land,and young dogs etc can worry sheep and other livestock .I personally prefer dogs on leads until needed,unless i,m sure theres no harm they can cause.Why take the chance? and ruin your permission and maybe frindship with the farmer

yeah as i said,each to their own,i just like my dogs working together as a team ,giving out and beating cover,im into open hunting,and its great when i can hear them on a fox down in a glen or hunting rabbits top of the ditch,i think only strong dogs like staffs or wheatens need to be on leads because they can cling a terrier in a second in ground if the terrier gets up first.

yeah,im on about rabbits! what do ya think im on about? i can find rabbits myself for shits sake

bro,even when a dog is trained to livestock it can still cause damage running about ,it spooks pregnent ewes etc causing sheep to lose lambs. where we live if you get blamed for anything like that,your hunting days would be far fewer ,as stories spread like wild fire. its not worth the aggrovation . Recently in an nieghbouring parish, a calf was killed by strangers hunting with no permission, farmers take that seriously and once the phrase hunters were responsible is used, then we,re all under the gun to make sure we,re responsible and respectful on other peoples property. BUT again there are suitations where dogs may do a bit of bushing etc.

bro,even when a dog is trained to livestock it can still cause damage running about ,it spooks pregnent ewes etc causing sheep to lose lambs. where we live if you get blamed for anything like that,your hunting days would be far fewer ,as stories spread like wild fire. its not worth the aggrovation . Recently in an nieghbouring parish, a calf was killed by strangers hunting with no permission, farmers take that seriously and once the phrase hunters were responsible is used, then we,re all under the gun to make sure we,re responsible and respectful on other peoples property. BUT again there are suitations where dogs may do a bit of bushing etc.

i always check the area i hunt for sheep anyway,and i always stay well clear,so your telling me your terriers have never gone away on a fox ? if my terriers are around me they get a belt of the stick! i dont want them around my heals,i want them in the cover with their nose to the ground,thats hunting.

yeah,im on about rabbits! what do ya think im on about? i can find rabbits myself for shits sake

Sounder! he only asked you a question.... Are you yet another one who has joined, and wants to argue with everyone. I f so your not welcome pal. You asked for views and answers. He was making sure he was right before he answered you!

Sounder! he only asked you a question.... Are you yet another one who has joined, and wants to argue with everyone. I f so your not welcome pal. You asked for views and answers. He was making sure he was right before he answered you!

ok,im sorry ,i was a bit hasty there,im not trying to start fights with anyone,just a bit of spirited chat shall we say,anyway jimb accused me of being an anti in another post first,thats a nice wellcome to the forum isnt it r f y l ?

for me it don,t matter what or who,s land am on my terriers are always on their leads walking to earths.that way i know whats happening ,what type of earth am at etc,but each to his/her own i say.myself i domt use my teriers for bushing i want them stricktly for earth work but like i said each to their own..atb..darrell.