Snared foxes

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one mate. :clapper::clapper::clapper:
good going mick. thats a nice sized vixen , would it not be better if fox cage traps were made a bit higher so that the fox could walk straight in and feel more confident upon entering the trap , by increasing the kill area on snare loops they become far more deadly and cut out the usual problem of avoidance , providing that they are set at the proper height in correlation to the loop size , not setting them at the best practice height like the dumplings suggest.
Nice one mate. :clapper::clapper::clapper:
good going mick. thats a nice sized vixen , would it not be better if fox cage traps were made a bit higher so that the fox could walk straight in and feel more confident upon entering the trap , by increasing the kill area on snare loops they become far more deadly and cut out the usual problem of avoidance , providing that they are set at the proper height in correlation to the loop size , not setting them at the best practice height like the dumplings suggest.

Not wishing to pull anyone up snareman but that trap is not a fox trap but one used by the ministry for the black and white things .Purpose made fox traps are in my experience a bit higher and wider and longer .Just an observation .

Had these Two in the Wires.One Yesterday and one this morning.Plus had a wire knocked. :icon_redface:

Here is a pic of the snares that caught these Foxes. As you can see they have Breakaway eyelets on them as devised by Mr G S Waters. The Foxes made quite a mess on the Wires but the Eyelets still held. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

post-845-1232548858.jpg

post-845-1232548884.jpg

post-845-1232548909.jpg

Guest miller1989

Well done! Could anyone answer this please! I cage trap etc and work the dogs but im not to cleaver with snares usually keep away from them :gunsmilie: But is snaring foxes legal in England Scotland Wales?And does it have to be on a shooting estate,or just permission?

Thanks Miller

Well done! Could anyone answer this please! I cage trap etc and work the dogs but im not to cleaver with snares usually keep away from them :gunsmilie: But is snaring foxes legal in England Scotland Wales?And does it have to be on a shooting estate,or just permission?

Thanks Miller

yes snaring is totally legal in the whole of uk, and ireland, and it does not need to be carried out on a private estate , as long as you have permission , and do not use locking snares, only relaxing free running snares may be used. and check them at first light in the morning , dispatching foxes with a rifle or shotgun.
Had these Two in the Wires.One Yesterday and one this morning.Plus had a wire knocked. :icon_redface:

Here is a pic of the snares that caught these Foxes. As you can see they have Breakaway eyelets on them as devised by Mr G S Waters. The Foxes made quite a mess on the Wires but the Eyelets still held. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Ive just ordered a few of these Break away snares, for both rabbit and fox, mostly because ive never seen one and think the idea behind them will sit well with the company. I fully understand them being usefull for in rabbit snares as anything bigger i.e a dog, cat, deer etc will be able to break free but im not so sure about the fox version, because in my view if it holds a struggling fox is it not quite probably going to hold a cat, Dog or Roe deer for instance aswell?? in my view a dog/Roe deer would put up the very same struggle in a snare as any fox can? As i said ive never used this type of snare so i may be way of the mark but just a thought.

Foxy

A snare set properly to catch fox wouldnt catch a roe deer,and snares wouldnt be set if dogs were running about on the land. Both my dogs come with me when i set snares for ginjas,when we return to check the snares the dogs dont run down the runs to investigate the snares as i have them on the lead.

A snare set properly to catch fox wouldnt catch a roe deer,and snares wouldnt be set if dogs were running about on the land. Both my dogs come with me when i set snares for ginjas,when we return to check the snares the dogs dont run down the runs to investigate the snares as i have them on the lead.

that may be very well in your case but if it was in everyones case then there would be no need for these snares that will release a non target species?? what im geting at is i dont think a non target species i.e a roe deer would put up any less of a struggle in a fox snare when caught than a fox would so are they really usefull??

Foxy

A roe has a lot more weight to it than a fox,hence the breakaway would breakaway,but if your worried about catching roe in your fox snares, :blink: i cant see how you can be worried about it to be honest there is no way a roe deer would be caught in a fox snare,even a badly set one :unsure:

It is possible that a deer may be leg caught accidentally, that is why the breakaway fox snare comes with a deer stop on it. When a certain gentleman invented this type of breakaway device he didn't go at it half arsed and he thought it through completely. A deer would not only break free, but the deer stop on these snares frevent the noose from closing all the way, so a deers leg can either step through or pull free.

As for cats, if you set your snares low enough to catch cats you deserve everything you get, if you set them where you know there are going to be dogs then the same thing applies, if you don't know how to use them, don't set them.

H