shud i cut my barrel down

redda09

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had my 95's barrel cut down but had someone who was an ex engineer with the correct tools do it. it needs cutting PERFECTLY sqare and then re crowning correctly. not a job to undertake if you're not confident .

ive cut down barrels for a few people and retapped the tread, but i used a lathe and wouldnt reccomend doing it without one.

how would i go about doin that if i dont have acsess to a lathe could i find a local machine shop our something

:gunsmilie:

Seems an extreme solution to me, is the sole issue that the rifle will not fit in your existing gun bag ?

if so then it would be far, far cheaper to get a longer gunbag than to start getting the rifle barrel shortened given all the issues that you may experience in terms of getting the job done correctly and finding that there may well be ballistic changes to the rifle when you get it back

if you want it shortening for other purposes then there are many companies who have a raft of experiences regarding customising this very rifle

i am thinking of v max etc, a post venom spin off i think

they will know exactly what charastics the shortened rifle will exhibit in terms of barrel length reduction and it is this sort of company that i would go to if i required mechanical surgery of this nature to a rifle

good luck

fin and fur

Seems an extreme solution to me, is the sole issue that the rifle will not fit in your existing gun bag ?

if so then it would be far, far cheaper to get a longer gunbag than to start getting the rifle barrel shortened given all the issues that you may experience in terms of getting the job done correctly and finding that there may well be ballistic changes to the rifle when you get it back

if you want it shortening for other purposes then there are many companies who have a raft of experiences regarding customising this very rifle

they will know exactly what charastics the shortened rifle will exhibit in terms of barrel length reduction and it is this sort of company that i would go to if i required mechanical surgery of this nature to a rifle

good luck

fin and fur

v mach is steve pope who used to run venom tuning. barrel shortening is always a funny sublect with people for and against it.i've had my 95 cut and recrowned with no loss of accuracy.its no louder and recoils is no more(does have a v mach stage one and an evooution silencer fitted though)my barrel was 410mm and is now 275mm(11") apparently,a pellet only accelerates in the first 8" or so of a barrel so no power loss should occur.

good luck

fin and fur

v mach is steve pope who used to run venom tuning. barrel shortening is always a funny sublect with people for and against it.i've had my 95 cut and recrowned with no loss of accuracy.its no louder and recoils is no more(does have a v mach stage one and an evooution silencer fitted though)my barrel was 410mm and is now 275mm(11") apparently,a pellet only accelerates in the first 8" or so of a barrel so no power loss should occur.

That's right bud, :thumbs:

No loss of accuracy or power with the barrel reduction, that's why there are carbines available, for a .22 9" barrel is plenty, as for the re crowning it ain't that hard if you have a bit of knowledge to start with, (if you need any advise on that just PM me) Ive done a few in my time, as for a silencer if you need one and cant find anyone to cut a thread for you there are some nice tapered push on ones available two, this is a pic of my 135 with a 11" barrel and a push on adaptor, it was origanly 17.5" hope this helps, this is only my opinion, all the best,

Rob. :yes:

post-27221-1231939666.jpg

Edited by klarakoi
my bag is already an oversized one its jus the overall lenght ov the gun its just too long

Hello mate, :hmm:

With regards to my over post, if you cant do any of the suggestions why dont you just take the silencer off when its going in the bag? might be the way to go,

Rob. :doh: