How to store gun in cabinet in the loft?

I was just wondering the best method to store my gun in the loft, i have lay it on top of a blanket, the loft is cold so I need to have the best set-up to keep it dry without moisture etc, does anyone know the best method? shall I wrap it up in a blanket fully in the cabinet? lightly cover it? or just leave it un-covered? my cabinet is lying down if this helps...

Thanks for the help

I use a Napier patch for just this purpose. Other methods can either hasten corrosion if there is existing moisture in the gun or damage woodwork.

Silca gel is a common option, and while this is great for removing moisture from the air it does nothing if there is any in the gun to start, likewise oil on a cloth.

This is just about the best way, costs about £7 and lasts 6-9 months in the cabinet. I write the date on them and replace then acordingly.

Napier patch

I have a number of older guns, oldest being from 1892, and I have tried every trick in the book to look after them and found this to be the best.

Ive fitted a light bulb in my cabinet and keep the cabinet well covered the heat from the bulb just keeps the damp off go for a low wattage bulb its not that expensive to run

This is a well proven method of removing any moisture :yes::thumbs:

Try and remove any loft insulation from immediately below the cabinet so "some" heat escapes from living areas and keeps the temperature up a little, make sure gun is always clean and dry when you put it away, make sure it is lightly oiled, and lay on towel, T towel, whatever..no direct contact with metal, check on a regular basis, and silica gel can help.

Temperature/humidity variation in loft spaces is dramatic but with a little extra care and consideration there is no problem keeping your guns there!

Not at all happy with this lightbulb business, this will inevitably produce a "hot" spot; an even temperature in the cabinet is essential or you WILL end up with a problem! (perhaps 2 or 3 VERY low power bulbs may help) :thumbs:

ATB!

I have had my gun cabinet in the loft for the last 20 years, no problem so far, even for the years I had no certified guns, I kept a couple of deacts in there.

Main thing is you need a healthy loft. ie it has to be well insulated from below, because you do not run your heating 24/7?, and it has to be to a modern spec, ie cross/ridge ventilated.

Given this is you bring your gun in from a sortie, bung it immediately in the cabinet, don't let it warm up in the house. The loft temp will be very similar to outside temps. If you need to clean the gun, let it cool off before putting it away.

This one is just my way, but I always store my rifles in thier sleeve, in which I keep preservative oils/vapourisers.

Biggest problem is when you bring the bugger out and it steams the moment you get it out of it's bed ;)

Different matter in summer of course

Edited by cyclonebri1