Got her sorted ,bit of trial & error cos some stuff specially sardines gives her sh*ts. But changed her biscuits, used chappie meat as well as mince, chicken some pasta, been feeding twice a day & she dont look like a skellybob anymore. She's a cowbag for theiving though. She playing more now as well, gets toys & box's with the other dog. Bearing in mind she'd been roaming for 9 mths before been trapped. I've had her nearly 5 month & it's only since been laid off work 3 weeks ago I've seen a real change in her. Finally got her recalling to me- not all the time but wouldnt do at all before. Hope for her yet- she gives my other dog hell thou. The old labx only likes her when she's behaving & not racing rond the house.

Thanks for advice

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salukis do tend to need more carbohydrate than most Western orientated dogs, but if she is a finicky eater I'd get her off the complete 'food' you have her on. Beta: rubbish IMO. Chappie: just fish and rice and water. Ditto. Like has already been said: get her on raw breast of lamb, chicken, beef mince: and it wouldn't hurt to give her rice and pasta too. Don't try to feed all at the same meal. Breast of lamb to keep her occupied: make sure she is in a quiet place on her own to eat where other dogs and people can't see/disturb her. Feed chicken the same way: wings and carcases. Pasta and rice with a bit of gravy and scrambled eggs, or tins of pilchards or tuna.

Salukis shouldn't carry any surplus weight anyway, and if she's not getting the exercise she probably won't want to eat much: my Saluki types only eat what they need for their current energy requirements: it they don't do a lot of running they don't eat much at all.

Plus: if the dog isn't very fit she won't have much muscle which is mainly what bulks a dog of this sort out: there's little or no subcutaneous fat to cover the bones if there's no muscle.

seems like sound advise to me. forget the mcdonalds! :)