Shotgun Fit

I know this topic has probably been done to death so hope I'm not going over too much old ground.

I am applying for my first shotgun certificate and went to my local gun shop to see what they had to offer. I have had the Browning 525 recommended as a good place to start.

However after trying (swinging not shooting) a 525 I was given a Miroku MK70. I know its a Japanese copy of a Browning anyway but it felt much more comfortable to hold.

After getting home I checked the manufacturers specs the guns seemed to be exactly the same except the 525 was lighter.

Why would the Miroku feel better? Could it be subtle differences in balance that suited my very average stature or was it all in my mind?

K

I know this topic has probably been done to death so hope I'm not going over too much old ground.

I am applying for my first shotgun certificate and went to my local gun shop to see what they had to offer. I have had the Browning 525 recommended as a good place to start.

However after trying (swinging not shooting) a 525 I was given a Miroku MK70. I know its a Japanese copy of a Browning anyway but it felt much more comfortable to hold.

After getting home I checked the manufacturers specs the guns seemed to be exactly the same except the 525 was lighter.

Why would the Miroku feel better? Could it be subtle differences in balance that suited my very average stature or was it all in my mind?

K

dont go by price,make,etc etc if it feels good and you are happy with it then that is the one for you

my first gun was a lincon 20bore £475 out of box great wee number

They all feel a little different, you are looking at the better end of the "sensible money" guns. All the Brownings, Miroku's and Beretta's are built to a similar standard, so that without alteration, "Mr Average" can pick one up and shoot reasonably well. A gunsmith can adjust any of them to custom fit it to yourself if required. A mate I shoot with has a MK70 which has been adjusted for him. We are similar built, stocky and short/average height (ok, a pair of fat b******s) and this gun fits me perfectly, better than any I have ever shot. If possible, you should try a few different ones at a clay ground, with a gun shop there. We are lucky round here, being handy for both Garlands and Doveridge where you can really try guns out. The weight does vary, and as you have noticed,the balance can be either muzzle heavy or light, depending on barrel length, action weight and wood thickness etc. Good luck with your license and don't rush to buy.

They all feel a little different, you are looking at the better end of the "sensible money" guns. All the Brownings, Miroku's and Beretta's are built to a similar standard, so that without alteration, "Mr Average" can pick one up and shoot reasonably well. A gunsmith can adjust any of them to custom fit it to yourself if required. A mate I shoot with has a MK70 which has been adjusted for him. We are similar built, stocky and short/average height (ok, a pair of fat b******s) and this gun fits me perfectly, better than any I have ever shot. If possible, you should try a few different ones at a clay ground, with a gun shop there. We are lucky round here, being handy for both Garlands and Doveridge where you can really try guns out. The weight does vary, and as you have noticed,the balance can be either muzzle heavy or light, depending on barrel length, action weight and wood thickness etc. Good luck with your license and don't rush to buy.

talking about your gunsmith altering the gun to suit you.

my grandpa used to shoot right handed but buggered his right shoulder a few years back. he now shoots right eye left shoulder with his gun specially altered. try and work that one out ;) ;)

talking about your gunsmith altering the gun to suit you.

my grandpa used to shoot right handed but buggered his right shoulder a few years back. he now shoots right eye left shoulder with his gun specially altered. try and work that one out ;) ;)

I used to know an old farmer up in Lancashire,(sadly no longer with us) and he had a similar problem to your grandad. He had a thing called a "cross hand" or "cross eye"stock fitted to his favourite shotgun. It it the only one I have seen and handled, but the stock was almost S shaped. So you mounted it to your right eye as normal, and the butt was in your left shoulder. Very strange feeling, but he managed some good shooting with it for years. I have never seen another, apart from pictures in books.

thats exactly what my grandpa had to do. sadly he no longer shoots so my dad is going to get the stock back to original so he can have it back. its one of a pair of holland and hollands and used to belong to my dad until he stopped shooting for a while and gave it to his old man.

Pick up and point as many guns as possible. When you find the one that is right you will suddenly realise what it was all about. What ever you do don't struggle with a named gun that doesn't fit right because someone says it's a better gun than your choice.

We all talk about gun fit but untill you find one that slides into position like an extension to the arm, doesn't need aiming, and becomes a natural function you will fail to understand ;)

Pick up and point as many guns as possible. When you find the one that is right you will suddenly realise what it was all about. What ever you do don't struggle with a named gun that doesn't fit right because someone says it's a better gun than your choice.

We all talk about gun fit but untill you find one that slides into position like an extension to the arm, doesn't need aiming, and becomes a natural function you will fail to understand ;)

Something to remember is that it easy to make a gun fit in the shop. as you continue to adjust the gun into the shoulder. the gun should slot into possition swiftly and be on target first time everytime.

Something to remember is that it easy to make a gun fit in the shop. as you continue to adjust the gun into the shoulder. the gun should slot into possition swiftly and be on target first time everytime.

Which is what I said :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: