hunting up,help!

has anyone got any tips to stop my dog hunting up when i'm lamping rabbits?. they sit fairly tight to the wood on the land where i go & he's injured himself twice by running in.i pull the beam off the rabbit but he keeps going.he recalls well to a whistle in daylight but it spooks the bunnys. cheers.

Guest young lampers

my dog does the same and once it has a race day or night it wont come back till its finished hunting up but im not bothered really because it ussaly kicks up more rabbits :good:

he's injured himself twice by running in.

personally i like this trait in a dog, my my black dog follows em in to cover and makes alot of catches just as they are entering, you will inevitably pick up some injuries from time to time unfortunately.......

the way around it is training when there pups ! there are tones of differant ways and everyone has there own.

with older dogs its just a matter of perseverance. and keep working on that recall.

i whistle me dogs out lamping but i wistle through me teeth. its high pitch and sounds like a bird.

it dont seem to bother the rabbits at all.

back to training as pups.

we take um to our local footy pitch from 12 weeks old and between two of us recall from one goal post to the other .

if you neel down all most any dog will come to you straight away.(its pack behavour that signals you want them there fast) it stems from alfa animals regergitating food for pups etc.

any way call the pups to you by neeling down and useing the high pitch wistle with the lamp off . when they come racing over praise them loads dont worry about how much noise you make as you want them realy exited.

once there calmed and got the idea you are pleased with them . hold the collar get your partner to switch on the lamp for a few seconds then off and call the pups . once they have the pups repeat the praise .

you can do this as littel and as much as you like.

once you have progressed to entering your pup you will only be asking one or 2 runns per night so have alot of room to make a big fuss of the dog as loud as you like as only the rabbits in that feild will be scared.

its the same with retreaving if you neel down and call them with alot of praise and make them realy enjoy it you will have a dog that looks for you when they catch and when they dont . all my dogs will find me once the lamp is off. and i allways make a fuss of um when they do no mattter the age of the dog.

all the best

Guest young lampers
MY BITCH DOES THE SAME NOT SO BAD IN THE DAY BUT ITS A PAIN IN THE ARSE AT NITE.WHAT BREEDS YOUR DOG MY BITCH IS BEDD WIPP A FEW PEOPLE TOLD ME THAY CAN SEE SALUKI IN HER ARE ANY OF THEASE BRERD KNOWN FOR THIS?

my dog a beddy wippet x greyhound suyluki and that does it

thanks for the advice lads. my dog was 2 when i got him & untrained so he was quite hard work at first .

not sure of his breeding.he does get the odd extra rabbit cos he doesn't hold back but it would be good if i could stop him doing it. i'll try the tips & see how he goes. cheers, Sonny.

once you have progressed to entering your pup you will only be asking one or 2 runns per night so have alot of room to make a big fuss of the dog as loud as you like as only the rabbits in that feild will be scared.

I find if you try this on Millets permission about august september without a red filter on your lamp it'll make him have a better nights lamping next time he's out lmfao :laugh::laugh:

yis chris

Well said Midnight....I was thinking of trying that with my dog to get it used to coming back when the light goes off without the distraction of game! And I couldn't agree more with the praise aspect.....I hate it when people don't praise and just tell their dogs off!!!

Guest young lampers

took mine lamping last night and it had its race then started hunting up so i left it for 5 minutes the started calling it when i was walking off and it came back so every 5 minutes i kept letting it off the lead to have a wonder so that it wouldnt think that once it comes back that is it on the lead and home.