ratting

Guest ferrets1234

Guest ferrets1234

as most of you will have read, i have just got missen some new permission, mainly for rats and rabbits, I have a question, well more of an observation, Why do the rats not bolt to the smoker, i was ratting on the shoot the other day, the ferrets were boxed up, because i intended to ferret the rabbits first, but thought i'd smoke a few rats out, anyway, the terriers were marking so out came the pipe, i filled the warren with smoke, switched off and only one rat bolted, I stood and waited for a few minits but no more, i then went off to ferret the rabbits, came back three hours later, the terriers were still marking the rat warren, so i decided to dig, five dead rats , all near the exits, whats your success rate people with the smoker as opposed to the ferrets.

Guest Keeps

Me & Phil W had exactly the same problem last weekend :blink: the dogs marked very strongly but we couldn't get any rats to bolt & it wasn't possible to dig them out as there were layers and layers of rusting metal in the ground. But the rats were definitely there :yes:

rats6.jpg

rat4.jpg

red2.jpg

rats.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I,ve had mixed results with the smoker,sometimes the rats can't get out quick enough and just the noise can get them going and other times like you said they just won't shift.Always trust your dogs though and if the smoker don't work get the spade out(if it's diggable).

• 3 months later...
Guest MOLLY

Never once had any luck with smokers...i hate the things, a waste of a good rat :yes: Just take someone who has an un-natural desire to dig holes everywhere :11:

Im also led to believe a good ratting ferret is hard to come by and should be cherished. They can get sick of being bitten and can eventually jib :icon_eek:

MOLL.

lol @ borderboy reminds me of when a farmer whios land i have permission on decided to show me how he gets rid of rats he got a blue gas canister put the hose down the holes and turned it on left it 5 minutes then switched it off carried it away and used a stick with a burning rag on to set fire to it. Big bang no rats lol lol lol lol