Rimfires and Railways?

I got a fair few hundred acres thats got some good back drops so it should be good for an FAC, but a railwayline runs down one side of it, whats the law about guns and railway lines? I dont go near it with the gun just to keep out of prying eyes and its mainly good for ferrets. would this be a problem when i ask the FEO to check it out?

as long as you shoot away from the railway line you will be ok just use common sense i have a bit of shooting with a railline as my boundary the rabbits on there cause havoc they grazed over 2 acres of wheat last year the farmer hates them i have to inform the police when i go as there are houses on the other side they are ok with it but we never have a easy job but keep at it

Thanks claybuster..i was starting to think no one would reply :) . Would shooting alongside it be ok as long as a back drop and no trains?? or is it rule that you cant be within 50ft like it is with roads?

This peice of land is a strawberry farm so you can imagine how much damage the bliters do to the farmers crop. Its a fairly new peice of permission (shotgun/air rifle/ferrets) so hopefully the farmer will be ok when i ask to use a rimfire (im only 17 so getting people to trust me is tricky) and sort them out good n' proper.

I have about a 250 yard railway embankment, with a signalbox on it along one edge of my permission. The land has been passed as ok for rimfires by the FEO. If you treat it like a road in daytime, and don't shoot towards it, all should be ok. The last train is around 22:30, the signalman locks up and departs then. After that time, the embankment makes a superb backstop. Local conditions will control how you cope with it, if you have all night train operation, then it will always be a "no go" area I guess.

Usual conditions apply about falling shot. I've had many a happy hour shooting bunnies next to lines.

It is possible to get some permissions on the land itself if you already have permission to the side but you will be Americanised by having to wear an orange Hi-vis vest.

If you do get permission please remember to post photos of yourself for prosperity.

You are doing right in keeping well away at train times, it only takes one uninformed person on a train to make a phone call and the helicopter will be up. Even if you are a few hundred yards away hide the rifle when the train goes by.

One of my areas is boundered by the MI for about a mile. The footpath runs along the motorway boundary so I often walked the route with the gun over the shoulder, untill the day that a patrol car all lights/sirens blaring screeched to a halt at the top of the embankment. They were fine with me, some do gooder passing by on the motorway had reported someone with a gun near the road and they had to respond. Luckily I had the o/s map of the area with me and was able to show them the footpaths and permissions marked on it which meant they left me alone to carry one. The farmer was called tho' that day to verify and you just don't want that sort of hassle.

I avoided it after.