READY MADE LURCHER

How often do you see a dog for sale aged between 8 to 18 months or even older, with the words ready for work, or needs bringing on. Or in some cases works day night, retreives to hand 100% genuine.Now call me a cynical old fart, but that would start alarm bells ringing. More often then not what that means is the dog for one reason or another hasnt made the grade, probably entered too young, or ruined in the hands of some inexperienced clown. Who would sell a fully trained dog for the knock down price of say£200. If you put a true value on a dog of say 18 months, the number of hours spent training, the cost of jabbing them up, feeding and bringing to peak fitness, you would be talking thousands not a couple of hundred. Myself i have always bought a pup, im very selective before i buy, but that policy has always worked out for me. I realise sometimes circumstances dont always allow people to keep their dogs. Has anyone bought an older dog, and what did it turn out like, good or bad experience, did it live up to the sellers description. :big_boss:

How often do you see a dog for sale aged between 8 to 18 months or even older, with the words ready for work, or needs bringing on. Or in some cases works day night, retreives to hand 100% genuine.Now call me a cynical old fart, but that would start alarm bells ringing. More often then not what that means is the dog for one reason or another hasnt made the grade, probably entered too young, or ruined in the hands of some inexperienced clown. Who would sell a fully trained dog for the knock down price of say£200. If you put a true value on a dog of say 18 months, the number of hours spent training, the cost of jabbing them up, feeding and bringing to peak fitness, you would be talking thousands not a couple of hundred. Myself i have always bought a pup, im very selective before i buy, but that policy has always worked out for me. I realise sometimes circumstances dont always allow people to keep their dogs. Has anyone bought an older dog, and what did it turn out like, good or bad experience, did it live up to the sellers description. :big_boss:

An excellent post. I agree 100% with everything said here. It's like the advert, 'free to good home'. What exactly does that mean? How the hell does the person know it's good home? It just gives a fast way of getting rid and frees the owner up of any guilty conscience .

If I couldn't keep my dogs (I accept that it can happen) I would search all avenues to get them rehomed. If it wasn't going to be a working home with someone experienced and a true dog lover I would look for a family pet home. I would hate to think of some inexperienced a/hole treating them like s-- t and feeding them muck.

If the right home was found, the dog would be for free. No amount of money could buy a good working home. What does £200 buy you, certainly not one of my dogs!!

Fortunately I'm like youself, i don't want a ready made dog. I want to train it from a pup the way I want. With some dogs it hasn't turned out the way I wanted, but i haven't sold them on as something they weren't. If suitable (so far they always have), they were offered free to a pet home. i always keep in touch with the new owners. In fact I'm presently kenneling a bitch that I rehomed a few months ago for the whole xmas period whilst her new owners are on holiday.

Dave

Guest Countryboyo

Either the dog is stolen, terminally ill or just useless

Guest allroundhunter
And ready made to them dosent necessarily mean ready made for you. better off training up your own pup always.

I bought a lurcher bull x and it is mint dose all I ask on or off the lamp its a bit dosey sometimes when it comes to retreaving but on the whole its a good dog. Granted bringing on your own dog is the best way forward but for the inexperienced hunter may be this is the only way to understand a dog and its hunting skills I now have a year old pup and finding it a little frustraighting trying to get her to work for me but slowly but surely am sure it will work out.

And ready made to them dosent necessarily mean ready made for you. better off training up your own pup always.

I bought a lurcher bull x and it is mint dose all I ask on or off the lamp its a bit dosey sometimes when it comes to retreaving but on the whole its a good dog. Granted bringing on your own dog is the best way forward but for the inexperienced hunter may be this is the only way to understand a dog and its hunting skills I now have a year old pup and finding it a little frustraighting trying to get her to work for me but slowly but surely am sure it will work out.

Giving them an experienced dog does not teach them patience, the most important factor in working a dog. I think they are better off with a pup. So much to learn and they can both make their mistakes together. I did and my dog perhaps wasn't as good as it might have been in experienced hands, but hey, who gave a damn? It was catching the odd rabbit, bringing the odd one back, no-one was judging us and I was happy.

The kids feel under pressure to produce a dog that does all sorts of stuff that we struggle to get our dogs to do. They shouldn't expect to have a dog that retieves live everytime and that can hit any size of prey at speed, everytime round the throat.

If they are able to teach basic obedience, jump to command, stock break and are able to enjoy a nights lamping or day ferreting thats surely enough to begin with. Whippets are ideal for this. They are game, don't complain and are realitvely easy to keep. They are loving, loyal and very rarely do they get out of hand. A great starter dog for a youngster.

Too many inexperienced people read exaggerated posts and want a dog that'll take 40 rabbits, 5 foxes and 2 deer every night they go out. Don't we all?!!

Someone with a half decent dog for sale posts that their dog does all this. First time dog owner buys it and becomes impatient and disillusioned when the dog 'only' catches 5 rabbits on its first night. The new owner's inexperienced a/hole mates tell him his dog is a tube, he believes it and the dog suffers as a consequence and gets passed from pillar to post.

Kids, buy your dog at whatever age you like, but love it and treat it like its doing the business every night you go out. See it through thick and thin. 5 rabbits is a decent return. Hell no rabbits and a couple of good honest efforts is still good fun. Don't listen to anyone else or read anything into these 40 rabbits a night posts. It's your dog, every dog is different and one that's loyal and is a trier will be good fun and worth sticking by.

Dave

Edited by tdavepat

An excellent post. I agree 100% with everything said here. It's like the advert, 'free to good home'. What exactly does that mean? How the hell does the person know it's good home? It just gives a fast way of getting rid and frees the owner up of any guilty conscience .

If I couldn't keep my dogs (I accept that it can happen) I would search all avenues to get them rehomed. If it wasn't going to be a working home with someone experienced and a true dog lover I would look for a family pet home. I would hate to think of some inexperienced a/hole treating them like s-- t and feeding them muck.

If the right home was found, the dog would be for free. No amount of money could buy a good working home. What does £200 buy you, certainly not one of my dogs!!

Fortunately I'm like youself, i don't want a ready made dog. I want to train it from a pup the way I want. With some dogs it hasn't turned out the way I wanted, but i haven't sold them on as something they weren't. If suitable (so far they always have), they were offered free to a pet home. i always keep in touch with the new owners. In fact I'm presently kenneling a bitch that I rehomed a few months ago for the whole xmas period whilst her new owners are on holiday.

Dave

Two good posts here.

I have, myself, last year, brought a adult dog, that was not good, i had to rehome her to a pet home, she is doing fine.

I also, had a whippet pup, that yaped for Ireland when on the lamp, no matter what i did, so she is now with a good freind, bushing ect in the daytime, a semi pet home and is happy as larry.

I would never buy, a adult dog again, will allways get a pup from good stock.

Frank.

Same here, and if it all goes wrong , you carnt blame the dog :victory: