The big "C"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost my Dad to this disease and spent the last six weeks of his life with him 24/7. He never once asked, never complained and nobody dare tell him, the rest of my family left it to me, I'm not really bitter about that as they just couldn't deal with it. My Mam would never have coped and basically just visited with one of my brothers or my sister. I remember the day of the biopsy results, I worked for the NHS, I knew Jo the consultant and I had no bullshit and I all I asked was that he did not suffer.

It was never discussed from that day on, everyone thinkin my Dad would never know and I can still feel his strength, the day he caught hold of me from his death bed, just a shell of the man who was my my Dad, just over ten years ago, me just over 45, pulling me close..............."I'm fecked boy"

One night I was told to go home, they would give me a call, about five hours later they did, I was with him as he gasped his last breath to get more and more air, me begging him just to let go, him trying to hang on to me and the last bit of life he had left and then gone, that was about 05.30, by 09.00 I was out running in the fresh air thinking how easy it was to run on this morning with not a cloud in the sky and this strange feeling of a weight being taken off me.

I found so much out after he died about how he'd always wanted to live as close to me as possible, and it all fell in to shape, I'd a "L" shaped house which was split in two so my parents could sell up and spend their last days not having to worry about out, my Dad and me had worked our guts out to finish it, even about three months before he died he could still leave in the dust when it came to manual labour.

Funny, I guess he knew all along that I'd be there and you know, I didn't find it at all hard, I'm not saying it was easy, but he was my Dad, always will be as he's always with me, everywhere.

i feel for you mate lost my dad last year and still cant greve its a b*****d of a illness and would,nt wish anyone to go through what ive been through as for those cancer hospitals they are the most inhumane places on this planet my thought are with you and your mate

know how you feel al,i was up the bone marrow unit a couple of days back to see a pal of mine he cant seem to stay out the place.

there is hope for him mind,he,ll know new years eve/day whether the marrow took..

sorry to read about your pal.

Edited by Chip
What an illness :thumbdown: and why in this day and age can't they find the cure :thumbdown: , they seem quick enough to add stuff to the ever growing list of stuff that causes it :wallbash:

Today I went to see a fella I've got to know over the last few years, sixty five years old, retired about five years ago from his own coal delivery business, just starting to enjoy life, bought a beautiful motor home for him and his Mrs to shoot off whenever they fancy :thumbs: two weeks ago they gave him three months to live :thumbdown: , what I saw today was basically a bag of bones and lucky if he survives the third week :icon_eek: .

I'd gone over ready for some banter to try and ease the time for him, but when I got there FFS!!!, his Mrs could barely understand him so I had no hope, they thought it was the doctor as they'd been waiting for him most of the feckin day :wallbash:, still hadn't been at 18.40 :wallbash: , but then maybe that's what it's all about, why rush to folk in this situation :wallbash: , why produce a cure as it sure as hell helps to keep the population down :wallbash:

That's life I guess and it was no beach for the fella I didn't recognise today :thumbdown:

Sorry to hear about your freind mate, lost a very good freind/dogman 2 years ago to lung cancer, from finding out he had it to death ... 3 months, i feel for you mate not nice to go through

thanks everyone, trying to make light of it and be my usual crazy self, but my mind's all over the place.

Sporting Shooter :notworthy: (I hope you don't mind me sharing this) offered a brace of pheasant, but it's a no go I'm afraid as the illness has too much of a grip for solids or tastes :(

thanks

Al.

thanks everyone, trying to make light of it and be my usual crazy self, but my mind's all over the place.

Sporting Shooter :notworthy: (I hope you don't mind me sharing this) offered a brace of pheasant, but it's a no go I'm afraid as the illness has too much of a grip for solids or tastes :(

thanks

Al.

Don't Mind at all :thumbs:

It's nothing to me but if it took his mind away from such things for a minute, then great.

It's a shame that he is so far down the line that he us unable to take anything solid, but he is being thought of at least.

SS :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Big Soz Al, Im sure youll take pleasure from knowing the chap and him knowing you, Its whenever sh** is dealt its our nature to throw it back, but in cases like this we take it on the chin knowing we could have done nothing but offer comfort. Ive lost my mother to the horrible C, but it makes us stronger Im sure.

All the best .

Guest hornman

deepest sympathy i lost my brother to cancer he didnt want to stay in hospital so i moved him in to our home where i looked after him til he died in october they gave him a year to live but he lasted 6 monthes so i know how u feel from hornmans wife