Bushing for lurchers

Guest MOLLY

Guest MOLLY

Someone i know has been advised against getting a terrier to use to bush for his lurchers, he was told by an old lurcherman...

that it was asking for trouble. He says that you use the terrier to flush the rabbit out of the bushes for the waiting lurchers. He says that then what happens is that the lurcher gets the rabbit, but he says that there is no more jealous dog than the terrier and that the terrier wants the rabbit which leads to trouble between the terrier and the lurcher and he took one look at my lurchers powerful jaws and said that he would most probably kill it.

Now ive never had any trouble, yes sometimes the terrier is attatched to the end of the bunnie but its never resulted in any fights?.....surely other people have used terriers to bush without any trouble?

MOLL.

i used to do a lot of bushing with terriers and lurchers for rabbits a few years back and never had any problems. :)

but if the terrier works below ground then theres the added problem of it dropping into earths :ph34r: that you did'nt know were there etc :whistle:

Guest MOLLY

The terrier he is getting wont be going to ground, it will only be used for bushing and ratting, he knows he will have to train it not too enter.

He has also been told the cross (beddy x border) isnt up to much, id have thought it would be an idea cross for what he wants, especially if it gets the length of leg from the beddy and the border coat.

MOLL.

Moll

I use 4 Borders for bushing up for the lurcher and I've never had any bother either. Sometimes rabbits are a bit mashed up, but that's to be expected if you've got 5 dogs hanging off them.

But nope, have no bother with them fighting or anything.

Shell

Never had any problems Moll...........even when out on exercise with pals and 11 dogs (mixed terriers and lurchers) may have to peel them off the occasional catch, but thats it.

Hope that helps :good:

JOEB

Guest HAWKEYE

i have 2 lurchers and a patterdale..ONE LURCHER COMPLETELY IGNORES THE TERRIER..THE OTHER AND THE TERRIER CONSTANATLY PLAY FIGHT ON..I COULD WATCH THEM BUSH , FIGHT AND HUNT FOR HOURS!!!

Guest Duzabit

I have had trouble with jealous fighting, but

only between the terriers, but i have also seen

a couple of terriers lifted and shaken by lurchers.

I guess its down to the temperament of the dog

but dogs can get fired up on the kill, and it only

takes a growl and a bite to kick it off. just get to

know your dogs and be aware.

Duz. :D