pup to jump

Guest mk3

I had this problem woth one dog..

i simply found a small log or abstacle ect and used a treat to try and make it the dog go over...

then work your ways up very gradually...

and finally hel be jumping over anything

if he doesnt simply comply just leave it for a day and try the next

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lad on here told me a good way to get them jumping what he done was had a small board at the gate of the run so the pup is jumping over it to get in and out then as it gets older replace it with a higher board so it becomes something it dont even think about worked for my dogs all the best

thats what im doing now ,and its working

my 2 , 4month old pups jump a 22" board every time i take them for a walk :thumbs:

Edited by lofti75
easiest way is put them on a lead and drag them over they soon get fed up and start jumping

I doubt, and hope, that you wouldn't do that over barbed wire fences! When jumping wire a pup needs to learn to clear it with confidence:not get dragged over so it hurts itself. Success breeds success and confidence. Set up a low wire fence in your garden or yard: getting a dog to jump something it can see through is completely different to jumping solid objects.

If I'm out in the field with a pup and we approach a barbed wire fence, I always find a low bit that has been squished down a bit, then I take of my coat and lay it over the top at the same time as putting a foot on the wire to keep it taut and as low as possible. I then stand astride the fence and encourage the pup over, using one hand and a click of the fingers on the far side of the fence to show it where I want the pup to come over. Once it is doing it with a coat over the fence you can progress to just laying your arm along the fence where you want the pup to come over, then finally do away with anything on the fence.

All pups get their confidence at different ages: forcing a pup of between 6 and 12 months old will only put it off for life. Show jumpers don't train young horses over big fences, and neither should people with young lurchers: keep it easy, safe and low and don't be impatient.

got 3/4 pb 1/4 grey about 5 months old refusing to jump any obstacle , she will just sit and howl, ive tried just walkin on . eventually she will push through some how but not jump. ive tried putting boards on back yard not a problem clears them , her box is off the floor in kennels once again no probs, but in the field no joy any ideas cheers mk3
i got a bull x and she will jump but allways looks for a gap first as when she was younger she got a few rips off barbwire fence. Her style of jumping makes me cringe as she touches the top strand with her front paws instead of just clearing it-anyone elses do that ???
easiest way is put them on a lead and drag them over they soon get fed up and start jumping

I doubt, and hope, that you wouldn't do that over barbed wire fences! When jumping wire a pup needs to learn to clear it with confidence:not get dragged over so it hurts itself. Success breeds success and confidence. Set up a low wire fence in your garden or yard: getting a dog to jump something it can see through is completely different to jumping solid objects.

If I'm out in the field with a pup and we approach a barbed wire fence, I always find a low bit that has been squished down a bit, then I take of my coat and lay it over the top at the same time as putting a foot on the wire to keep it taut and as low as possible. I then stand astride the fence and encourage the pup over, using one hand and a click of the fingers on the far side of the fence to show it where I want the pup to come over. Once it is doing it with a coat over the fence you can progress to just laying your arm along the fence where you want the pup to come over, then finally do away with anything on the fence.

All pups get their confidence at different ages: forcing a pup of between 6 and 12 months old will only put it off for life. Show jumpers don't train young horses over big fences, and neither should people with young lurchers: keep it easy, safe and low and don't be impatient.

every one has thier own methods that works for them and this works for me,all 7 of my lurchers and 2 spaniels jump,clearing 5 bar gates no problem.

no i didn't drag them over barbed wire im not a fool.

someone asked for advice and i gave mine.

every one has thier own methods that works for them and this works for me,all 7 of my lurchers and 2 spaniels jump,clearing 5 bar gates no problem.

no i didn't drag them over barbed wire im not a fool.

someone asked for advice and i gave mine.

o: Edited by MY LAW