Pure Whippet

My hubby has been on about a whippet for ages... the main concern we had was regarding the land we hunted, and whether a straight whippet would be able to cope with the terrain (a lot of rough and uneven land around yorkshire and the dales). We lost a pup at 11 months when she crashed into something and smashed her back leg up, she was a old fashioned rough coated lurcher, but was relatively weak boned.

Had a big collie greyhound that was built like a brick outhouse and had various knocks and bangs that a whippet wouldn't have survived.

We've just bought our compromise pup... it's 3/4 whippet 1/4 kelpie. Hopefully the kelpie will add a bit of bone to the mix... will wait and see how she turns out. Thats as near to a pure whippet we'll go.

Shell

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the feedback

The only problem I see is a wee weak whippet pup being bashed aroundby my collie who is very boistorous and strong (hes done some damage to my girlfriends GSD/husky n hes a strong pup)

Also when lamping at night wouldnt they get pretty cold in autumn/winter months?

Thanks

Jordan

i got a kc. whippet dog off my uncle,didn't expect much coming from strong kc blood, but he's a cracking little dog. He catches my aunts deerhounds and my grandparents whippet/saluki. i keep him with a lab/german shepherd which is very boistorous and strong but i think it has done him good, not scared of any thing and can take care of him self, he's a bull/grey in a whippets body. With the cold it doesn't bother him once he sees or smells rabbits, and i got a jacket for him for when he's standing around in the cold. Once he's in the house he's on his been bag chair on his back with his legs in the air.

Weather wont affect them much, but as jannymangoes stated! it is nice to get them a coat for when there standing round or at home and they have been kicked out lol!! My old Whippet X ust to do nothing but shake if she didnt have a coat on but as soon as she was in the fields and her addrenalin was pumping and she had her first run!! she would be warming up and raring to go!!

evan ust to start panting when she had corsed about 7 or more ;) Fantastic Dogs and i think i will be getting myself a pure bred Blue or Blue and White Whippet :D:clapper: xx

Thanks for all the feedback

The only problem I see is a wee weak whippet pup being bashed aroundby my collie who is very boistorous and strong (hes done some damage to my girlfriends GSD/husky n hes a strong pup)

Also when lamping at night wouldnt they get pretty cold in autumn/winter months?

Thanks

Jordan

i got a kc. whippet dog off my uncle,didn't expect much coming from strong kc blood, but he's a cracking little dog. He catches my aunts deerhounds and my grandparents whippet/saluki. i keep him with a lab/german shepherd which is very boistorous and strong but i think it has done him good, not scared of any thing and can take care of him self, he's a bull/grey in a whippets body. With the cold it doesn't bother him once he sees or smells rabbits, and i got a jacket for him for when he's standing around in the cold. Once he's in the house he's on his been bag chair on his back with his legs in the air.

i agree whippets can be very hardy,,,,out on walks when a boistorous dog come to ,,,my dogs they are quick to put them in there place,,despite there size,,,,,remember ( jordkil ) ur the pack leader,,you set the pegging order not your other dog,,,,i have to do it when i get a new pup and works well,,,,( i do understand some dog,s can be too much) but my neibour thought when he got another pup his old dog would not take to her,,,but in the end they give each other there space,,,in time

when it comes to cold mine get used to it as,,,,i dont use weather jackets for them,,,they become hardy to the cold,,,,whippets do burn alot more fat if kept in kennels at winter,,,all u do is up there feed,,for them cold nights

Edited by whip x grey
Shell, sometimes the lighter a dog is, the better they fare on bad ground. My young whippet here is built really strong, but light enough to glide over the bad ground. I predict (touch wood) i will have a lot less injuries with him than i have the other dogs on rough ground ;)

Thats an intersting point... I can't say as I'd thought of it that way... makes sense I suppose!

I suppose we were used to running big Atol, who had various tumbles and falls and bangs and came through everything (until the last one), built like a brick shithouse, and we'd always said she withstood everything because of her structure.

This pup has been quite a compromise for Malc... he's always wanted a Kelpie x lurcher, and he's always wanted a whippet!!!

Shell

Looking at the ones I saw in the paper it didnt say anything about working and they do cost 350 so if anyone on here has any pups for sale i'll be extremely interested? (as per usual for me prefered in Scotland)

Thanks

Jordan

My uncle was selling his for 375 but had one dog pup left, so sold him to me for 150. Ring some of these people up and tell them you won't pay 350 and if they got some that they can't get rid of they might drop the price, because whippets don't usually sell as well this time of year. No harm in asking and leave your details just incase they change there minds. My uncles mate has 16 pups he can't sell. But he's a bit far south for you.

Guest anonymous
Iv been looking for a lurcher for a while now and iv had no joy, but I recently found whippet pups in the paper that are KC reg. I know that whippets are good rabbit dogs but are they as good as for example a beddie/whippet? Are they worth having?

Thanks

Jordan

Anytime I see the initials KC alarm bells ring. Anyone going to use a dog for hunting purposes should read these initials as Keep Clear! You need a dog from hunting stock to stand half a chance. You also said you come from Scotland. Well think about where you'll be hunting and what time of year. Whippets from my experience don't like waiting around rabbit holes for too long when driving sleet is horizontal!! Dogs come in different coats for a reason, whippets I'm afraid ain't got too much of a coat.

Guest anonymous
Im confused...some of the best working stock was also KC registered?

Sooty Sam.

Laguna.

Nimrodel.

The only thing the Kennel Club are good at is ruining dogs. What best working stock that is KC registered are you talking about oh confused one?

You also said you come from Scotland. Well think about where you'll be hunting and what time of year. Whippets from my experience don't like waiting around rabbit holes for too long when driving sleet is horizontal!! Dogs come in different coats for a reason, whippets I'm afraid ain't got too much of a coat.

Your just plain wrong their mate, and obviously have not a clue what you are talking about. :thumbdown:

Guest anonymous
You also said you come from Scotland. Well think about where you'll be hunting and what time of year. Whippets from my experience don't like waiting around rabbit holes for too long when driving sleet is horizontal!! Dogs come in different coats for a reason, whippets I'm afraid ain't got too much of a coat.

Your just plain wrong their mate, and obviously have not a clue what you are talking about. :thumbdown:

LOL, thanks for the explaination, put me right there so yea did. I've been out ferreting with guys with whippets on more than a few occassions. Last time we were out the weather was bad and we had been standing around a hole on a hill side waiting on the usual last rabbit lie up with the wind and rain driving at us, the whippets were trying to get in their owners jackets while the old lurcher still had his head cocked listening for a rumble. Now, you can say I'm just plain wrong and don't have a clue what I saw all you want but that me lad is a fact no matter what you say. Maybe you give up in such weather but I ain't lost a ferret yet and ain't about to cos some fair weathered whippet can't take a good soaking.

I've had whippets for 20 plus years, lurchers for 30 plus.

You have been out with the wrong whippets, fact if I had a whippet that did as you say then I would not keep it for long.

As for saying avoid KC whippets then that really shows you know nothing some of the best working whippets are KC bred.

14 posts in your first day of joining. :rolleyes: