My whippet pup is 6 months now and weve been retrieving ball and teddies and now a rabbit dummy in the house.

Ive been doing this in the hallway so he has to come to me, when he gets to me he will always drop it on command. He is always asked to 'Sit'-'Stay' before retrieve.

If i try the retrieve in the front room i will have to position myself infront of 'his' sofa so that again, he has to some past me. If i were anywhere else in the room i feel he would jump right on the sofa with it and ignore me.

Ive tried him outside with it and he will, chase it and get it, but either walk off with it, or drop it and come back to me! Ive tried him on the extendable lead but this only ended up round his legs making the situation worse. I only do 2-3 retrievs a day.

What shall i do?

Shall i leave it for a week?

Is the retrieve natural for sighthounds?

Help/advice appreciated as this is his only prob at moment.

Cheers DG

I would keep it to the house for the time being I wouldn't use a lead as you may spook him and ruin any progress you may make just keep doing little and often maybe use the back garden and position yourself in such a way he has to go by you...good luck! :good:

I'm using treats and lots of praise as well as getting down very low with my arms spread out to get the pup to retrieve. The plan is to make the dog want to come back each time. If the dogs starts to get pissed off when you keep taking its dummy you could try using a few different objects to keep his interest going. I had a quick look at your gallery, the pup looks stunning.

Eamonn

Remember this , that all retrieve training is very good for any pup, but when you switch over to a live rabbit, all that training can go out of the window :o Ive had dogs that would retrieve dummy's anything all day long, but once on the real thing some would bring back, and some would NOT :( So keep at it , and dont forget you carnt make them retrieve, its not natural like a gundog ;);)