Pigeon Shooting, Advice Needed!!

I'm relatively new to shooting and although I got my first gun a while ago, I haven't had much chance to use it, (partly because I don't live within a farming community and therefore I don't know any farmers who give me access to their land)

Anyways, I've decided to take it upon myself to have a drive around the local area and just ask Farmers outright whether or not they want the pigeons on their fields "moving on".......This way it does them a favour by keeping their crops in tact and it does me a favour because it gets me some much needed practice!

I was wondering, if I am lucky enough to find a farmer to oblige and let me on his land and stick a few decoys out, are there any tips any of you more experienced shooters can give me? - It'll be the first time I'll be shooting on my own and I'd like to have a good go at it. Are there any fundamental things you lot think I should know / do before embarking on my own......

Cheers

First off, I envy you. You are in for a treat. Build your hide with care and attention to the fact that pigeons and crows are wily foe. Expect to missa lot and ask yourself "are these barrels bent". Be patient. Cover your hands and especially your face. You need some kit without turning into a KIT TART. Get a seat or stool but not the low fishing type. Buy Sporting Gun and read all about pigeon shooting. Is that enough for now.?

Be polite and safe. Pick up your empty's and clean up after yourself. Offer the farmer some of the choice birds afterwards. Don't cut holes out his hedges and don't be tempted by shooting at any pheasants / partridge (even if you think you'll get away with it :whistling: )

... as for tips shooting.... a hat with a brim or a face mask is very useful, don't put the stock to your shoulder too early if you see birds coming into the pattern and don't automatically use the second barrel. Stick to the more straightforward shots and those in range... maybe even put a few markers out to help you judge distance. Best of luck and don't be put off by the knockbacks. :thumbs:

Don't just plonk your gear down and expect the birds to come to you. If you find a field with birds feeding on it and are lucky enough to get permission sit in your car for a bit and try to see which direction the pigeons are coming from and set your decoys up underneath the flight line. As a rough guide set your decoys up in a large horseshoe shape with the closed end pointing into the wind. The decoys should also face roughly into the wind but don't have them all like soldiers facing exactly the same way. In theory the incoming birds should try to land in the open end of the horseshoe so that bit should be about level with your hide. As previously mentioned don't be tempted to shoot anything else, not even crows or rabbits unless the farmer has said it's OK to do so. If you think it's hard to get permission now try doing it after you've been ordered to get off someones land for doing something you shouldn't. Also try to find out if there is a woodpigeon club in your area. Failing that you could always look at posts elsewhere on this site and book a day with a guide. A bit pricey maybe but if you can afford it a good way to get an idea of what to do. Good luck and stick at it.

Kev.

• 2 weeks later...
Some great advice there, thanks alot!

you will be knocked back a lot and if you just keep at it (you do get better at the patter),you will get some shooting.

ive had some awsome days shooting pigeons,and ive sat there all day in a snow storm for nothing too.

you can never predict the birds and thats what makes it so good.

you could go and not see a bird flighting and end up with a red letter day,as said above................keep at it and youll win in the end.

dont know where you are but if you are yorkshire / county durham im sure we could put you on a field with us one sunday.

• 4 months later...

i personly think that before you go and tackle anything live you should go and get some practice on some clays. get yourself a decent coach for an hour or 2, get one that comes well recommended. that will be the best thing to do because if the pigeons are decoying well and you cant shoot, then all you'll end up doing i scaring the pigeons off the field.

cheers

the verminator

i personly think that before you go and tackle anything live you should go and get some practice on some clays. get yourself a decent coach for an hour or 2, get one that comes well recommended. that will be the best thing to do because if the pigeons are decoying well and you cant shoot, then all you'll end up doing i scaring the pigeons off the field.

cheers

the verminator

Top advice. otherwise you may as well take blanks! :thumbs: