First Rifle for Hunting

I'm looking at getting my first rifle for hunting rabbits mainly (as above) all I know is that a .22 is probably what would be the best.

What would be the best rifle within a range of say below £100???

Thanks

Jordan

probably a smk but there not that great but what would be for less than 100 bucks wait till ya save a bit more mate and get a decent gun theres a smk for sale on ere 100 bucks av a look at it see what ya think mate :gunsmilie:

bsa meteor if you want to shoot rabbits (80 with optics bargain)

or if you a caveman and want to club rabbits the smk is the choice in my opinion cheap chinese rubbish.

youre right there mate not worth a ham shank :wallbash::gunsmilie:

Having got both a BSA Meteor & an SMK XS20, I can't help saying that there is some total b*llocks being talked on this site.

Meteor:- Cheap for a British made gun, robust but basic. Phsically quite small & light. Drawback, unless it's a MK7 it's going to be only putting out 8fpe so not best suited for hunting other than at closer ranges. Would suit shooter of slighter stature.

SMK XS20:- Weihrauch HW95K clone. Let down only by an inferior mainspring (easily replaced) & therfore capable of full legal power with fit & finish the equal of the BSA. Accuracy & power are just fine... don't beleive all the cobblers being talked on here

The cost of either will be similar but the SMK looks, feels & shoots like a proper grown-up gun.

Listen to someone who owns them both instead of the numptys on the "Chinese is crap" bandwaggon.

I've been an airgunner for 34 years & din't just float up on the bannana boat.

The SMK will suit you just fine

Edited by SteveieP

its all opinion and to say a smk is a clone of a hw95 is insanity whether you have 34 years experience or not, i have had experience with some of the smk range the latest was a purchase a friend made brand new from shop tacky poorly built rubbish, i have grouped better with a catapult at 50 yards. also why buy a rifle that needs modding ? if you are going to buy cheap and mod id still buy the meteor and buy a gas ram from BAR.

to be honest mate, if all you can spare is 100 bucks then if i were you then id look out for an old weihrauch...these guns were built to last and have proven themselves worthy over the years...one of mine is about 15 yrs old...

its all opinion and to say a smk is a clone of a hw95 is insanity whether you have 34 years experience or not, i have had experience with some of the smk range the latest was a purchase a friend made brand new from shop tacky poorly built rubbish, i have grouped better with a catapult at 50 yards. also why buy a rifle that needs modding ? if you are going to buy cheap and mod id still buy the meteor and buy a gas ram from BAR.

A gas ram in a Meteor!

The lad's on a budget & a gas ram on it's own costs nearly £60 plus delivery, even if they were in stock (which they're not)

Not the best tailored advice I've heard this week.

The SMK XS20 is a copy of the HW95k no question. I stress it's a copy, not the quality of the genuine article, but more than serviceable.

A decent spring, a little fettling & lube & out pops a good'un on a budget.

The Walther scopes on it work passable well for £35.

The sport is pursued on many levels with budgets to match.

post-12679-1223401937_thumb.jpg

just my opinion as i said whats the point in buying to have to mod?? also i said "if you are going to buy cheap and mod id still buy the meteor and buy a gas ram from BAR." this is a general comment ,i still see little point in buying a rifle to pay for springs servicing etc. better off buying secondhand hw95 0r 90 after the cost of the rifle (new) spring and other bits. also he will need a scope. anyways good luck in your search for a rifle try bbs forum aswell as this is a great site also.

My mate was on a budget, and got a bsa comet. Cost about £130, seems a tidy accurate gun for the money, and a good starter tool for hunting.

With regards the 'chinese' argument, my experience with the air rifles are a couple of B2's and a lion, which mates had when we were kids. They were terrible, but perhaps the modern ones are much better? And at the time i'd of given anything to own one, so it's horses for courses!