help with crosshairs

Just got a new rifle with a scope but im having problems with the scope.

If i look at a white wall the crosshairs are out of focus but then quickly come into focus the longer i look (i guess this is my eye adjusting?)

but if i hold the cosshairs on any sort of target they go completely and i cant see them at all ( and i mean no sign what so ever?)

is there any way i can focus the crosshairs?

cheers dave

depending what scope you have, you should be able to adjust the rear " eye ball / eye piece ", it should have a ring in front of it that you loosen so that you can adjust the focus to suit your eye, then you can tighten the ring up again to hold the eye piece in place...

what scope is it ?

its a simmons 3-9x50 it has a duplex crosshair and as a gold deers head on the side thats all i know. i thought i could turn it but i cant or its so tight i cant shift it?

have a look in the instructions if it has a focusable eye relief, it must have, ive never owned a scope that doesnt have one...

ive just got hold of a new scope yesterday & the eye relief was solid, a bit of gentle pursuation & it came free...

do you have a link to the scope on a site ?

cant really see much from that picture... have a close look on yours at the very end, check if it has an adjuster that looks like part of the scope, also does it have what looks like a ring just before the zoom ring ?

probably be easier if you posted a picture of your unit..

cant really see much from that picture... have a close look on yours at the very end, check if it has an adjuster that looks like part of the scope, also does it have what looks like a ring just before the zoom ring ?

probably be easier if you posted a picture of your unit..

here it is

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp149/b...11/P1000392.jpg

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp149/b...11/P1000391.jpg

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp149/b...11/P1000390.jpg

i dont want to be responsible for you damaging your scope, but as i said, it looks like a locking ring to me, others might think different...

i would just "gently but firmly" turn the rear housing anti clockwise to see if it unscrews, but whilst doing this i would make sure the what looks like a locking ring stayed still..

failing that, take it to your local shooting shop & ask their advice.

disclaimer: you try this at your own risk.

i dont want to be responsible for you damaging your scope, but as i said, it looks like a locking ring to me, others might think different...

i would just "gently but firmly" turn the rear housing anti clockwise to see if it unscrews, but whilst doing this i would make sure the what looks like a locking ring stayed still..

failing that, take it to your local shooting shop & ask their advice.

disclaimer: you try this at your own risk.

Haha dont be so worried.

But hey thanks for all the time and info. it is slowly but surely moving back by unscrewing it. im adding a little lubrication each time i give it a little turn its like it has never been done it is as dry as a bone and full if grit, fluff and alsorts!!

thanks again

Dave

As has been suggested - slacken off the locking ring and adjust the ocular housing until the cross hairs are crisp for YOUR eyesight.

Best way of achieving this (you have already discovered that the eye starts to compensate) is by pointing the unloaded rifle up into a clear patch of sky. With no image to distract you, adjust until the cross hairs are clear. Tighten the lock ring.

This should do the trick.

If you are still unable to focus, then we are now at the stage of having to adjust parallax. Not so easy on a low mag scope.

BTW - the rings should not be done up so tightly that the scope tube gets marked. Especially on a recoilless PCP! Just snugly finger tight is fine.

Hope this helps ya! :)

rgds Ian

Edited by IanF