pellets?

Hollow points are supposed to be good close range. i.e. shooting rats in barns etc but domed are certainly more accurate. You can get pellets that are a slightly pointed dome like BSA Storm or Webly Powapell which are accurate and give slightly better penetration. Downside is that they then don't expand on impact aswell as normall domed so there are downsides.

Was reading a test in Airgun world from this month's issue using Tesco jelly which sounded interesting. Might do some tests myself and see what I can find. Will keep you posted.

out of interest which pellets do other people use I have used BSA Storm for quite while and they work well no room for error though you have to hit your mark as they don't have the impact of other pellets.

Edited by Freddy Watts
the ones that are most accurate in your gun, most probable a deccent make domed. then shoot the brains out. cant go wrong then. oh and always go for 177 better penatration for sub 12flb.

what about pointed pellets? any beginner (like :icon_redface: me) would asume amiediatly that pointys give better penatration

Penetration is all very well but with pointed pellets the tend not to be very accurate. I would suggest a good domed pellet for all purposes. Webley Accupell are about the best out there but it's all down to personal choice/budget & how your gun likes to shoot with them. Hope this was helpful to you and not just one of these one liner post whore posts, with fleeting comments that some members are accustomed to making here :whistling:

These one liners are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike for anyone, let alone a newbie ;)

Penetration is all very well but with pointed pellets the tend not to be very accurate. I would suggest a good domed pellet for all purposes. Webley Accupell are about the best out there but it's all down to personal choice/budget & how your gun likes to shoot with them.

I agree, domed are the best all rounders, penatration is not as important as transfering energy. A pellet is just a remote hammer. The more energy dumped into the quarry the better. For close up use (5 - 15 yards) I use hollow points when shooting squirell, rats etc as anything else seems to pass straight through without immediately incapacitating them. - a case of over penatration with no energy being dumped on the target.

post-17062-1222369808_thumb.jpg

i use AA diabolo field in my tx 200hc and i seem to doing just fine they are a nice domed pellet of very consistent quality

these are what the manufacturer recomend so i use them

i went out tonight to try to get some comments on how they worked but these three resused to comment :)

cheers mal

the ones that are most accurate in your gun, most probable a deccent make domed. then shoot the brains out. cant go wrong then. oh and always go for 177 better penatration for sub 12flb.

what about pointed pellets? any beginner (like :icon_redface: me) would asume amiediatly that pointys give better penatration

Penetration is useful but you lack accuracy with these which is even more important. In addition, it is also about imparting all the energy into the quarry (as someone else has said) rats, small birds, whatever...if you go right through you waste energy!!

To keep it simple, domed will be the answer! :thumbs:

Penetration is useful but you lack accuracy with these which is even more important. In addition, it is also about imparting all the energy into the quarry (as someone else has said) rats, small birds, whatever...if you go right through you waste energy!!

what about long range (30 yrds) rabbit and pigeon shooting (let me geuss, domed?) :icon_redface:

oh and thanks for all the tips :notworthy:

p.s wich is better 22. or 177., ive got a 22. gun but im just intrested

what about long range (30 yrds) rabbit and pigeon shooting (let me geuss, domed?) :icon_redface:

As everyone has said DOMED ;) as for caliber I'm after a .177 as I have a good .22 and a .20 already. This is just personal choice of which caliber you use, why not perform a search of the forum or click on the link in my signature for further assistance....

Shot placement is key. I have shot rabbits at that range with a lowly Slavia 630 (5 ft/Lb in .177) and RWS hobby wadcutters (wadcutters can be extremely accurate in the right gun). Shoot em between eye and ear and they won't know what hit them. Now for heart lung shots, thats a different story, get as much power ass possible (as close to FAC as you can get) and a pellet that penetrates (domed).

RR