anyone into trialing ?

I have worked and trialed retrievers, spanials and setter/pointers. Many years ago I hasten to add.

All three are are required to do very differant jobs both on the field and in trials. I have heard the comments on a non-hunting retriever. Most retrievers are expected to be able to mark birds down and take a straight line to the drop and retrieve it back to hand. Spaniels are expected to work tight and not to miss any cover, drop to shot and if asked to retrieve in a straight line and bring back to hand. Both types are expected not to mouth the game or the grip it too hard. I must say that if I am out on the moors I prefer to work setter/pointers (not HPR's), with a retriever to pick-up. HPR's I have never managed to get to grips with.

:big_boss:

• 3 months later...
I have made up a FTCh in Labs and Spaniels, this year Ill be judging on the spaniel and HPR circuit for the kennel club as well as competing with 2 Labs in opens and 3 in novices. I have an open winning spaniel that I hope to make up this season - providing I get the time. We also have 5 youngsters to run in novices.

Mike

Hi Mike

Well done... Just wondering ............are you listed as a"B" panel on the KC trial judging lists? or will you be a non placed judge? and will you be judging trials or tests?

Sorry Nic - but that is total rubbish!

I have made up a FTCh in Labs and Spaniels, this year Ill be judging on the spaniel and HPR circuit for the kennel club as well as competing with 2 Labs in opens and 3 in novices. I have an open winning spaniel that I hope to make up this season - providing I get the time. We also have 5 youngsters to run in novices.

Will also be running a GWP and 2 GSPs in HPR trials, hoping to become one of a very small band to make up a FTCH across the 3 disciplines.

As for hard hunting labs - as long as they find the game, take direction and respond to command then they will and do win at trials - but given the standard now - if your dog takes too long on a retrieve it is going to be beaten by one that does not.

As you will know from spaniel trials, any dog that needs handling will drop a grade - so a Retriever that doesnt need to be handled will always score higher than one that does.

Yes there are some judges on the circuit who prefer a dog that straight lines - but then there are those that actually know how a dog should outrun on the wind.

Good luck in the trial world - its not as bad as people make out. If we cross paths on the circuit come and say Hi - you cant miss me - I am 6ft 6" with a shaved head and NEVER smile!

Mike

hi mike im from wrexham got 2 cocker spainels one 3 year old and try to train them my self done well with him he will do what i say apart form retreive he has stoped now will fetch the rabbit or bird out the cover but drops it and sits there.

just got a pup that is wow she is so gtoood from good stock like my other one but dont want to make same mastake with her been to all the shows last year but its easy just to say not easy in the real world.

i would like help with them please

I have worked and trialed retrievers, spanials and setter/pointers. Many years ago I hasten to add.

All three are are required to do very differant jobs both on the field and in trials. I have heard the comments on a non-hunting retriever. Most retrievers are expected to be able to mark birds down and take a straight line to the drop and retrieve it back to hand. Spaniels are expected to work tight and not to miss any cover, drop to shot and if asked to retrieve in a straight line and bring back to hand. Both types are expected not to mouth the game or the grip it too hard. I must say that if I am out on the moors I prefer to work setter/pointers (not HPR's), with a retriever to pick-up. HPR's I have never managed to get to grips with.

:big_boss:

hpr's simply do away with having a retriever to do the picking up.

the different breeds of hpr's will play a huge part in hunting the moors, they all have diffent strengths.

the trials world has seen the hpr breeds change in this country.