Flaming sunset and a duck to boot

I havnt had time to feed the pond leading up to the start of the season, you know busy job , kids. wife and a host of other reasons you kind of invent. Well the dog was moping around the house tonight and i knew a particular corner of the big field would hold standing water in the place it always does after heavy rain. Sure enough tell tale feathers were trapped on the submerged barley stalks and we settled down in the hedge and waited. A couple of hares showed on the skyline, the dog wined and eight Greylag flew high over us. Five minites later we both heard pinnions making that noise that makes you freeze, three mallard overshot and a a quick blast on the call and they curled back round to come straight in, no messing, no circling....one fell to the first barrel, the other two departed. We waited a futher ten minuites and missed a pair that came in in the gloom.

It was good to be back. I have an appointment with some Greylag and Canadas tomorrow evening, its a done deal, cant fail, report and pictures to follow.

Good going Chess.

I haven't managed to get out at all yet. Just been to busy with the poults.

Hope to get out soon, driving me mad!

Regards

SS :thumbs:

Well as usual where wild birds are concerned nothing is ever a "done deal", now why did i say that! Took one Greylag, two mallard and a Gadwall. Not disapointed i hasten to add, the night was magic. However went down last night just to se what was about and ran into the mother of all duck flights. It was nearly dark when a singleton mallard pitched into the decoys, im not sure how effective they are if duck are using a particular place. Then came Teal, lots of them, packs of 15+ at a time, too fast to shoot in the gloom, i scrambled three down before more mallard arrived. By this time the air above the flood was buzzing with duck. I ignored the teal and downed six mallard. By this time i was standing in open water picking the birds against the sky with the dog swimming round picking up and still the birds pitched in.

This is a barley field in flood with maybe a thirty yard by twenty yard area under water, great dining table. Going out again in a couple of days, i dont have any hesitation in shooting a good number, the flood will go and so will the duck.

Regards Chess