what makes a good gos?

loopleash.

im fortunate to have been given a very very good bird from a good mate whos job prevents him from flying him.

the bird, a tiercel german gos has had 5 long seasons at game and rabbits and crows and has taken at least 800 head.

i have no problem bigging this bird up as i never bought, manned, trained or entered him!!!!

anyway i have had the bird for a few months now and today flew for the first time at quarry.

what i noticed was the speed at which this bird flies. i have had 3 goshawks. 2 fin /gers and a finn. and i have seen many others. but they were like something in slow motion compared to this bird.

baring in mind he is unfit he took a slip on a carrion crow this afternoon. the crow was 80/100 yards away he covered this distance and took the crow in less than 30 seconds.

so what im thinking is does a naturally fast bird. correct manning technique amount of conditioning make a "legend" and as such are smaller gosses gonna always have the drop of bigger ones?

as i see it gosses are all gamey and have roughly the same amount of stamina its just inexpert austringers who make the difference. and nulify these traits with cack handling!

A good goshawk is made by a good goshawker.Hats of to all you boys who fly them well :notworthy: :notworthy:

i agree 100% and it a nice change to be on a forum where egos arnt in evidence!!!

i could be scathing here and say that the quickest way of getting a great gos is to only fly in the company of those that dont know what a decent gos should fly like... you know the sort, clicky feckers who ussually have imprints!!!! and about a million dogs

I would say a lot of time / commitment and plenty of winged quarry to go at..and for me a knowledgable Goshawker to feed me with endless information..

Im on with training my first Goshawk so i could not realy answer the question properly but im giving it my 100% as i think all bird's should be given..and hopefully that should make a good gos..but time can only tell..

Cheer's

Millet

like millet said if you dont give it 1oo% a harris hawk is as good but you put time into a gos he will prob catch more quarry than he miss's,nice bird millet i have a male from tony i think it same father but diff mother to yours from 2yr ago, he flew at 2lb but was imprinted.
I would say a lot of time / commitment and plenty of winged quarry to go at..and for me a knowledgable Goshawker to feed me with endless information..

Im on with training my first Goshawk so i could not realy answer the question properly but im giving it my 100% as i think all bird's should be given..and hopefully that should make a good gos..but time can only tell..

Cheer's

Millet

totaly agree 100 % :good:

I totaly agree with whats mentioned above in previouse posts. but just a couple of things to think about and chuck into the aquation. As we know there is alot more bad falconers than there is bad birds but I have to say you do still get a fair few birds that don't make the grade. its no different in the wild population, birds which are a bit slow Hunting and fail to kill you can pretty much Guarantee will be dead in the first winter, obviousley Nature takes no prisoners with the loosers and will soon weed out anything that doesn't make the grade.

The problem here is when birds are reared in Captivity and lets say 4 eggs are layed and 4 chicks are succesfully hatched and reared, how do we know when we pull one of these birds that its no going to be the Numpty that would potentialy fail in the wild? we don't :hmm:. it has nothing to do with size as all the bird may look like prizes in the aviary but which one's out of the 4 would make it in the wild and which would fall by the way side? a old falconer once said to me when talking about Rook hawks which he had flown for many years, "Some are Born into it and some have to be Made", never a true'er word spoken. obviously the made hawk will need alot more work and may never make the grade...

Its a difficult one and one we take our chances on when we take up a new bird. I'm certainly not saying none of these birds can be succesful in the falconry game but some perhaps may a be a bit slow from the start, it could be one thats never really ate alot in the aviary and subsequently has a low metabolism which needs working on! or perhaps always been the last to the food due to Alpha birds dominateing proceedings, either way it is handy when breeding them when you can sometimes get a rough idea watching them on camera....

I think all I'm trying to say here is as I have seen and heard in the past of some Falconers who have flown one decent bird and never flown another since. some birds come out of the aviary and move forward very quickly! they have a good appertite and fast metabolism from day one and there for feed off the fist sooner and will normaly tolerate the manning and trainning at higher weights, before you know it this bird will have conquerd everything you have thrown at it with flying colours, although the quality of manning is down to the falconer! some on the other hand take alot more work, conditioning and comitment! life's the same with Dogs and everything! you will always get the odd one's which are outstanding and other that are not....

A good bird can make a Bad falconer looks good! and a Bad bird can make a good falconer look average! I know a of a guy who flew a cracking Falcon at game a few years back, the bird without doubt was outstanding and mounted straight away from the start of its first free flights, the bird went on to make a good name for itself and the falconer until Unfortunaty it died in the field, the guy has since to my knowledge taken up at least 8 more falcons since then some of which have been average and some just never made it even though he trainned these birds useing the same succesful tried and tested techniques used in the past, aparantly now he he has a good one again doing and is back on track which is good news...

Obviously there is a whole lot of Bad falconers out there these days that somehow manage to destroy the best of birds which is a shame, they then go through birds like sweets until they finally end up with something a bit easier which perhaps somone else has got going for them, or perhaps after failing time and time again with a P/R bird take the Imprint route which no one in the month of sundays will convince me is difficult :doh:...

This is just my boring take on the subject! its not meant to be arguementative but just a opinion! On the whole though I will have to say that most good falconers who put the time in will produce a decent bird, weather it will be a Noted famouse Hawk in another thing! but hey who f*****g cares if you are getting your rocks off and enjoying it ;)...

Jasper

you will always get the odd one's which are outstanding and other that are not....

Ladies spring to mind :whistling:

Mmmmmmm!! I know what you're saying mate ;) I married a princess that turned into a Monster! who f****d like a train with no brakes when we met! but now sadly needs to empty my bank account before she finally drops them :whistling:.....

Jasper