Ferretting Mayhem

Went ferretting on monday with my nephew and mate George, Took the terrier today to alternate the work for each dog a 10 years old she has been a good worker for me catching her fair share over the years.On netting up the 1st set we send the jill down and within a minute heard some action below the ground 2 rabbits bolted my side into seperate nets.1 hole that was hard to set a purse net over caught 1 which the terrier worked well to get under the gorse/thorns and hold it.On dispatching a rabbit from net another bolted fromt he same hole making its way to safety.7 bolted,Catching 5 .The next hedge produced another 5,On inspecting another set the terrier bolted a rabbit from the cover into the set.A few nets and the ferret doing her job and the rabbit was caught.

The next hedge we decided would be our last.1 bolted then a lie up on entering the hob with a locator collar on.We dug to 2 but still could not find the jill.We spent the rest of the day looking for her and as the day was getting late we decided to rock all the holes and come back the next day leaving the box and some rabbit gutt inside the holes. 4 days on and still no sign.I regret she did not have a locator on.Which is a definate for my next trip.Mine packed up last winter and haven't replaced.Will keep you updated we ended the day with 14 who the local butcher took off our hands.

I hope you get the jill back, there are certain circumstances where wearing a collar isn't feasable, like this wall I sometimes ferret;

24052008015.jpg

24052008016.jpg

24052008017.jpg

but I wouldn't risk ferreting without a collar normally, I'd be gutted if I lost a ferret. Last season one of my ferrets collars came off and this is where the collar was;

Foxy017.jpg

We had a reading of two feet! Longdogrunner was a star and didnt give up until we had the collar which he spent around three hours digging to from either side of the path!

Foxy018.jpg

Foxy021.jpg

Foxy028.jpg

its just not worth not using collars, especially at this time of year. Fingers crossed for you. :yes: