Just got back from a day out with the terriers mine has come back with th usual cuts n grazes but also his hind paw middle nail looks like it has come right off. it now looks like the shape of the nail is there but it is red and jellyish.

ive washed it and the bleeding has stopped but what now any ideas???

Edited by digga

keep it clean and bathe it in salt water........ we use blu stone on wounds like that helps with the heeling and keeping out infections

Sounds like the nail covering has come off and left the 'quick' exposed. Dont worry, it will heal well if it is kept clean. Wash regularly with detol or hibiscrub, these products are better than salt water for this injury as they dont dry the nail bed out as much, but if you have nowt else, salt water will do.

do they live in or out?

If they live out, I would spray it with purple spray. If in, I would just keep it clean by bathing it in warm water.

Good luck. These things happen and if you keep it clean and dry, they usually heal quickly with no problem.

Pignut.

consulted the mrs again, she used to work at a vet.......hibiscrub once every couple of days, cornea cresin (available from most equine stores and isnt expensive) apply after bathin, sock (one of yours) on the foot strap it on with tape to stop any licking.

hope that helps.