4z or 6z

stoney3107

Hi all

I'm interested to know what your opinion is ?

what would be the better material for a quickset longnet 4 z or 6 z 2" sq ?

what length of sheet netting should i buy to make a 100 yard net ?

do i need to use a 150 yard length to allow for bagging or would 200 yards be needed ?

All sensible opinions welcome

regards Stoney :thumbs-up:

Edited by stoney3107

Firstly can I mention that it's not oz, it's just z. I think 4z is 40lb breaking strain, and 6z 60lb. I have both and hemp nets, they all catch rabbits, though for sheer tangleability a 3z net I have takes beating. All have pro's and cons. I mostly use 4z 50 yard nets which contain 100 yds of net whose mesh sides are 2 1/8", these are good. I also use 2 1/4" mesh hemp nets, and even 2 1/2" hemp net which is surprisingly better than most would expect.

For adult rabbits 2" mesh is too small for longnet mesh, you have to tangle them. If I had to have just one net, I'd have a 100 yard nylon 4z net containing 200 yards of 2 1/8" mesh. Easy to look after, cheap, and pretty good.

the quotes of 4z and 6z come from a need to identify types of twine used in net making for the fishing industries when we, the UK joined the common market. Most of europe was using KG as its denomination of weight where by the uk was still in lbs. so to avoid any confussion with our EU counterparts the fishing industry devised the simple number rating, 4, 6 etc.

As has been rightly said by ianrob it is Z NOT OZ, oz is something you use when baking a cake. The figure Z comes from the way in which the loom moves, in this case in a Z fashion whilst the filloments of material are extruded.

hope this helps :victory:

Firstly can I mention that it's not oz, it's just z. I think 4z is 40lb breaking strain, and 6z 60lb. I have both and hemp nets, they all catch rabbits, though for sheer tangleability a 3z net I have takes beating. All have pro's and cons. I mostly use 4z 50 yard nets which contain 100 yds of net whose mesh sides are 2 1/8", these are good. I also use 2 1/4" mesh hemp nets, and even 2 1/2" hemp net which is surprisingly better than most would expect.

For adult rabbits 2" mesh is too small for longnet mesh, you have to tangle them. If I had to have just one net, I'd have a 100 yard nylon 4z net containing 200 yards of 2 1/8" mesh. Easy to look after, cheap, and pretty good.

Hi all

thanks for the advice i have ordered 200 yards of 4z 2 1/8" mesh,

for the small sum of 18 pounds plus vat.

Be here early next week so i will have to see how i get on putting it all together.

regards stoney :thumbs-up:

hi stoney

just want to no where you gettin some sheet netting?? as i dont know where to get any from??

thanks for your help!!

cheers will

Hi there will

The link should take you straight there ask to speak to Steve great bloke very helpful.

Regards Stoney :thumbs:

http://www.advancednetting.co.uk/shop/catalog/contact_us.php