For the ratting lads

I have a few brand new, completely un-used petrol strimmer engines for sale, they have never even had petrol in them. £35 inc postage.

eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

The exhaust has a removable cowl that is fastened on with two screws, so should be easy to fix a piece of pipe on to connect up your hose, your hose for smoking that is, not for connecting up your own hose :icon_redface:

Yes, I've replaced the knackered engine on my strimmer with one and it's fine.

No need for testing id reckon all the engine need do is start up tic over and go up in rev with throttle.... sounds like the idela bit of kit for the rating fellas..

For all those that sent PM's asking "How hard would it be to fit an exhaust to fasten a rubber hose on"

I've done one myself, so I can answer honestly, and the answer is "A piece of piss"

Here's what I did:-

I cut out two small pieces of the plastic guard to access the screws that hold the exhaust cowl on and removed the cowl. You could remove the whole guard with three screws, but it would be hard to refit over the new exhaust.

Image000.jpg

Image001-1.jpg

I then cut a piece of 15mm copper pipe to fit to the exhaust cowl, I used a Dremel with a cutting disc, but a hacksaw would do just as well. I also drilled two holes in the pipe to match those in the cowl. There is a piece of gauze under the cowl (spark arrestor) I threw that out, not needed with the extended pipe.

Image002-1.jpg

I fit the cowl into the copper pipe and used some exhaust paste to make an air tight seal(Gun Gum, not shown in photo)

Image003-1.jpg

I then used two longer screws to refasten the new exhaust and job done, took no more than half an hour, start to finish. A bit of rubber pipe, and a strap to hang it over your shoulder and away you go.

Image005-1.jpg

Four have gone, two are spoken for, four left.

And the answer to the next question is, "No it's f*****g easy, do it yourself"

For all those that sent PM's asking "How hard would it be to fit an exhaust to fasten a rubber hose on"

I've done one myself, so I can answer honestly, and the answer is "A piece of piss"

I cut out two small pieces of the plastic guard to access the screws that hold the exhaust cowl on and removed the cowl. You could remove the whole guard with three screws, but it would be hard to refit over the new exhaust.

Image000.jpg

Image001-1.jpg

I then cut a piece of 15mm copper pipe to fit to the exhaust cowl, I used a Dremel with a cutting disc, but a hacksaw would do just as well. I also drilled two holes in the pipe to match those in the cowl.

Image002-1.jpg

I fit the cowl into the copper pipe and used some exhaust paste to make an air tight seal(Gun Gum, not shown in photo)

Image003-1.jpg

I then used two longer screws to refasten the new exhaust and job done, took no more than half an hour, start to finish. A bit of rubber pipe, and a strap to hang it over your shoulder and away you go.

Image005-1.jpg

dont use cooper pipe... it can make you and your dogs very ill...

Image000.jpg

Image001-1.jpg

I then cut a piece of 15mm copper pipe to fit to the exhaust cowl, I used a Dremel with a cutting disc, but a hacksaw would do just as well. I also drilled two holes in the pipe to match those in the cowl.

Image002-1.jpg

Image003-1.jpg

Image005-1.jpg

dont use cooper pipe... it can make you and your dogs very ill...

your right there??? it lot of carbon build up whith copper

So, just for peace of mind...................tell me please...................just what material is best to put CARBON MONOXIDE through, I don't do any ratting, but isn't the highly toxic gas that people use to commit suicide the whole idea of getting the bloody wellen rats out in the open.................I do, however, work in the chemical sector and can't find any info that would make you believe a chemical reaction between the gas and copper would make the gas any more dangerous than it is in it's natural state, and as I have a more than a fair amount of previous experience in the building game, I seem to remember copper being used as the safe option to lead in drinking water supplies from the rising main to the consumer side. I'm not having a swipe here, I just don't understand how 4" of 15mm copper pipe is going to make a toxic gas any more toxic. I understand that most exhausts are cheap tin, I thought the reason for that was because it was cheap, whereas copper is bloody expensive.

car exhauste pips are made of steel. you get a build up of carbon plus carbon manoxid gas in exhauste with that you get water vaper which turns in to a acid which rots exhauste from the inside .its combonation of all carbon+carbon manoxid gas+water+acid+copper=nerv gas. thats the best i can explane as im not a sciantist and im. not knocking the way you av done pipe good idea :thumbs: but not with the copper pipe :big_boss:

I certainly understand your concerns Grooter and the job I'm in you cannot underestimate the danger of any chemical, I'm no scientist either, but have a reasonable understanding of chemical equations, Carbon = C, Carbon Monoxide = C0, Copper = Cu, Nerve Gas = CH3CH20-P(O)(CH3)-SCH2CH2N(C3H7)2, so even with a bit of acid thrown in and there are too many to list, even with the amount of Carbon, you couldn't make Carbolic Acid (Phenol) C6H5OH, so I think you'll agree, it's a few elements short to make Nerve Gas, and thank the f*****g lord for that, otherwise every terrorist in the country would be running around with a strimmer engine and a piece of copper pipe :ninja: It's certainly something to take on board and anyone putting an extended exhaust on one of the engines may want to use a piece of 15mm mild steel tubing, I just had a piece of copper pipe to hand and I thank you for your safety concerns for your fellow hunters. All the best fella. :victory: