question for the coursing lads?

Guest hpool_hunter

Guest hpool_hunter

3/4 greyhound 1/4 saluki , how would you rate them PRE BAN?

speed , stamina , turning ability ,

also someone told me that you dont get featherd 1st crosses , but do 3/4 breds , why is this?

Edited by hpool_hunter

3/4 greyhound 1/4 saluki , how would you rate them PRE BAN?

speed , stamina , turning ability ,

also someone told me that you dont get featherd 1st crosses , but do 3/4 breds , why is this?

I ran one with the East Of England Club years ago, I think he was the fastest dog in the club in his prime.Very good doubled up dog ,good turner ,for such a quick animal ,very good gob,and good for three courses ,very game,his speed was his eventual down- fall as leading up in a course he didnt see a dyke ,failed to brake and dislocated a foreleg ,he continued the course and only stopped when both dogs were unsighted,he took Fox with great joy,and had a good nose,I wish I had him now I would put him to a 3/4 bred Saluki,and go on from there.ps he was a smooth coated brindle.

Never had a 3/4 bred, too much greyhound/speed for my liking so I can't really comment on that.

As for why you don't feathered first crosses, it's because the smooth haired gene is dominant over the recessive feathered, with the second cross the if there is recessive feathered gene on both sides the double recessive feathered gene can come through.

Never had a 3/4 bred, too much greyhound/speed for my liking so I can't really comment on that.

As for why you don't feathered first crosses, it's because the smooth haired gene is dominant over the recessive feathered, with the second cross the if there is recessive feathered gene on both sides the double recessive feathered gene can come through.

I am not too sure why the concern for the feathered / smooth gene. Have to confess my total ignorance here I had previously thought the smooth recessive...

More to the working angle - the reason the saluki greys are great hounds is the combination of the fat muscle from the grey that gives the short bursts of speed, combined with the sleek thin muscle structure of the saluki that gives athleticism and stamina.

More gratuitous photos :whistling:

One smooth deer grizzle one feathered black and tan

2008_0106AugustNewMills0028.jpg

2008_0106AugustNewMills0057.jpg

2008_0106AugustNewMills0058-1.jpg

It all depends where you are running, but i have bred a couple of bitches this way and for me they have just about everything i need. Where i live speed is esential its no use having a dog that can stay forever if it cant even put a bend in. The 3/4 bred offers a combination of speed, stamina and gameness if bred properly however if you are going on the fens you would pobably want 3/4 saluki, slower but more wind.