Ferret court

At the moment ive got 6 ferrets kept in pairs in three cages, now ive decided to section off one of my sheds and build a court. Ive meshed it off and fitted three nest boxes. im going to place some logs inside the run and eventually run some pipe externally for them to exercise.

But i was wondering if its ok to keep them togeather. I know il have to watch them for a when i introduce them but i need advice as to if im doing the right thing

Ive got 4 gills and two hobs

The two hobs are young brothers and are togeather at the moment but have been a bit aggresive to one and other lately.

Can anyone forsee any problems with what im trying to do?

Any advice appreciated :good:

bob

if i was u bob id put a pair of jills in the court and add another jill and watch them for a bit if all goes well put the other jill in and watch again ive done the same my self i bought a 2 ferrets and then another 1 then another 1 over about a week and they got on well a little squabble here an there but not much fighting they get on well now ....my 2 hobs have been a bit rough with each other lately i think its because of the breeding season but ive only kept ferrets for a year so learning myself ..good luck :good:

I'd personally put the jills in your court first and let them get used it and then when the jills come into season (which will be in the next couple of months) put in one of the hobs so they can mate with them. I wouldn't put in both hobs because they will start fighting over the jills. You will also have to split the hobs up because they will take their sexual frustration out on each other. I noticed at the weekend that my hob was taking alot of interest in my jills while I was working with them that coupled with baby rabbits being around has all but ended my ferreting season :( One other thing, If you are going to leave all the pregnant jills in the court make sure you have a couple more nest boxes than you have ferrets so they can choose where to have the kits

Guest wickidweasel

I keep 8 jills and 2 hobs together with no probs but one is a castrated rescue the only trouble i can see you having once they are all introduced is the hobs fighting during the breeding season. you could avoid that if you give them alternate days in the court. Ive found chucking them all in together in a new enviroment works better than adding to an established group. I prefer to take out full hobs once the jills come in season so i can control who breeds with who and house the jills alone before they drop. Like King said expect the odd squabble but unless they are ripping shite out of eachother leave them be all should settle down after a few days

One problem you will encounter with the jills all giving birth in the same court is kitten stealing with 1 or more jill ending up with most of the kits in her box.This can be fine if the box is big enough and the other jills are allowed to share the rearing.Jealous mothers can be a pain at this time and stress is what drives a jill to kill her offspring.Best to seperate jills near to the birth time .

Foxdropper.