Longnet

Guest coopermurphy3

I'll bring it half full then we can get it out the car and just chuck it over the hedge.

Just watch for brambles :censored: You not got sky M? Hugh Fernley whippingstool is on doing a fish program. It's just had trout on showing it being fed on live food, and how the meat differs compared to pellet fed.

Edited by maty j

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HFW gets on my breasts to be honest with his "River-cottage" :thumbdown: I f*****g hate hos mop-hair,reminds me of a public school-boy who tried to touch my front-bottom,I get the urge to leave the imprints of his spectacles deeply etched on his face :victory: Program sounds good though,what did it say about the merits of pelletVlivefood fed trout?

HFW gets on my breasts to be honest with his "River-cottage" :thumbdown: I f*****g hate hos mop-hair,reminds me of a public school-boy who tried to touch my front-bottom,I get the urge to leave the imprints of his spectacles deeply etched on his face :victory:

You always make me laugh M :laugh: He did a blind taste test with the fella who farms the live food trout and he could taste the difference. He said it was much more cleaner and moist compared to the pellet fed. The pellet fed fish had really orange pink flesh (you know what I mean) were as the live fed fish was a lot paler almost white when it was on the plate. He said the colour was from the additives in the pellets. I'm off to catch the last bit - he's cooking carp :yes:

Do you think HFW has a touch of the velvet about him Maty?Something not quite right about that foppish hugh-grant type smallholder cum(sic) TV presenter :hmm:

Does he keep the carp in a freshwater tank for a few days prior to cooking it? :hmm: How does he say it tastes?Going to check some of the trout in my freezer to see if they are whitish or orange/pink or maybe even blue because thats my favourite colour :yes: And they might just BE blue,with cold,because they are in the freezer right???? :hmm:

It was an organic carp farm - They fed the lake with shit which grew algae, bugs came for the algae and then the carp eat the bugs. I think there may of been another bug involved but back to the point the owners are getting about half there food for free and charge more as It's organic. Win win situation :victory: I imagined them to catch them a bit different to how they did. It was like a big keep net that the fish went down. He never mentioned bait just inquisitiveness. They then put them in the fresh water for 5 days before eating. He had a few people there eating the carp with him and allot gave the carp 10/10. He also had them rating his dish which was smoked carp and one of his chefs carp dishes. His chef's dish got better marks but I was surprised how everyone really rated the carp :yes: Hugh put a few small carp into his pond aswell but said it would be a year till they were ready for the pot.

Blue trout

05trout.jpg

I've never caught a blue, do the different colours/species taste any different? I wouldn't mind trying a live fed fish as when the fella was describing the pellet fed fish it was exactly what I would describe it as. Bland, dry and earthy. I did abit of fishing this afternoon on the river near me. In the afternoon I hooked about 7 small brownies which all came off, what's the point in barbless hooks :D I had a look out just before dark and hooked one on my second cast. Not much of a meal unless I got a few but It would be worth it just to try the difference.

Explain Velvet...

Edited by maty j

I like the concept of organic carp,I once knew a guy who ran a cannabis-farm using the waste from huge fish tanks,he called it guppy-ponics and was writing a book on it,he lived in one of the swiss cantons just before the crackdown,I actually went over and helped with his outdoor harvest,strange guy to be honest as most of them are :icon_eek:

Blue trout :icon_eek: Looks cold,I am sure theres some way we can heat it up :hmm:;)

How big or small were the trout you got maty?Ounces or pounds?I would love to live right next to a trout stream :yes:

Half an hour in the oven should heat it nicely.... as long as it's live fed ;)

There looks like a golden in the top left of the pic too. There's a few of them were In a place I visited recently :D

The trout weren't any size really - infact very small to eat. I've probably caught bigger gudgeon!! Still you see the pikeys down there with a few in the summer and it's nice to be there at the river with fish underneath me in under 2 mins. There was a couple bigger than average fish but all could be lifted straight up and out of the water right away. I once caught one that was a very nice size for the river. It was a dark midge ridden place that was obvious no one fished there for a long while. I would still only guess that to be about 1 LB or so but for this river it is big. I caught it last year too in the same spot just never got it in. I asked my mate to line it in and it decided to shoot off again so I told him to leave it. He decided to try and fetch it in and it came off! One that I got today..

trout1Large.jpg

If I get a couple I'm sure I'll be able to have a big enough sample to try live fed trout. Yes it is nice to have it practically right on my doorstep but It's just a shame the fish aren't much size. I've wondered about relocating a few rainbows in here but once the winter rains come they would no doubt get washed down stream.

Edited by maty j

Loads of fish in it yeah. I went poking it last summer and got about 30+. I just had shorts and trainers on and it was up to my lower chest at the deepest part. It varys, I walked some today were it was only about 6 feet wide inplaces and others about 10-15 yards average.

I have a disc an eastern-european friend sent me,theres a moive clip,he spreads a sheet of plastic on his kitchen floor then tips two rucksacks out filled with hundreds of trout the same size as your catch,that he and a friend caught in an afternoon :icon_eek: