Sick whippet

Hello folks, looking for a bit of knowledge to be shared. I've got 7 month old Whippet dog that ordinarily is as fit as the proverbial. Sat morning though he came out in hyves threw up twice and took to his bed all day, he hadn't been out the previous night though and nothing new in the yard that he hasn't eaten or chewed at before.

No diahorea or increased thrist but loose, realy depressed and off his food. Starved him for two days then gave him fish in oil, he took it kept it down and picked up again getting out of his bed and playing around with the other dogs. Then Mon night I gave him some chicken in gravy and although he kept it down he had the hyves again, though not as severe. Vet reckons as I do that he has eaten something that doesn't agree with him, don't know what though. Any one experience similar?

Guest smashygadge
No the skin goes all lumpy, a bit like a nettle rash but bigger lumps.

awh i see well only problem i had with dogs in that department were cists

in bulls i used to breed .but if vet seems to think its food wise have they not give you any ideas? :thumbs:

Vet can't say because I can't think of anything he has come into contact with that he hasn't eaten or messed with before. I have seen him snapping at Bees recently and I know that the reaction to a Bee sting can cause hyves but I would have heard him if he'd been stung. I'm at a loss to think of anything else though.

Guest smashygadge
Vet can't say because I can't think of anything he has come into contact with that he hasn't eaten or messed with before. I have seen him snapping at Bees recently and I know that the reaction to a Bee sting can cause hyves but I would have heard him if he'd been stung. I'm at a loss to think of anything else though.

that will be the one mate my staffy does it but its that num it dosnt seem to bother her.

an i would think it will react in everydog differently. and what with the problem suppose .he could go off his grub etc if in the throut he has beed stung .my staff seems a bit blowted in the mouth afterward but as i say she is a bit of a num dog. dosnt seem to hit them if in pain.i can see how it would affect the whippet differently tho :thumbs:

and causing the allergic reaction to his skin :victory: hope you find an awnswer soon good luck

Guest smashygadge
I have a pond with frogs and toads! could be, thanks never considered that.

my whippet plays with frogs in back garden on a night but no probs could be drinking the water out of pond that maybe the one :thumbs:

I have a pond with frogs and toads! could be, thanks never considered that.

my whippet plays with frogs in back garden on a night but no probs could be drinking the water out of pond that maybe the one :thumbs:

He is just playing not eating them, and noting will happen if he drinks the water coz it is not the water that is poisonous it is the frogs and toads..

He doesn't have access to the pond and can't drink the water. The frogs and toads though can get into the back yard and I know that toads release a poison when attacked. Can't say that I've seen him with either prior to him getting sick, but coincidentaly I let him on to the lawn tonight to eat some grass to try and help his stomache and within minutes he was chasing a frog into the pond! No slobbering though.

Edited by kabar