southall horse market

i think this pretty sad meself, i just found out today the horse market has been closed down, i spent alot of my youth going there another little market gone,it was a bit of contraversial place and some times in the news under the watchful eyes of antis and rspca, a meeting place ,as a boy i can remember going with me mates dad in the lorry just for a day out, id come home with goldie mules, and chickens, ah well i have me memories, im sure there,d be lads on here that used to go,

yes it is sad , many a day spent there as a kid , do you remember siddy king there and old percy baxter, he always had a tale to tell

yes i do they wer characters in their own right ,we, ll never meet the like of their kind again ,the place taught me alot about horses and people, :drink: fairplay boys.

Guest little lurcher

my grandfather was a great mate of percys and also you may then remember the great Gerry Bray , so sadly missed , my love for the bedford tk ( sad i know but hey im a girl !!) came from an old tk we brought from percy along with a little black and white pony that was named magpie , dad thought it was unlucky so my sister changed its name to miss american pie , that tk took us all over the country competing in show jumping comps towing an old tourer lol , all them posh boxes and posh ponies then the p***y scrapmans daughter comes out and kicks their arses , thanks you are bringing back so many memories , we used to sell a few of the bigger horses to siddy for killing

yes i remember gerry bray, went to his place once with jonny white, the best pair of yard boots ive ever had came from there, and a siskin mule, i called him sid. happy days we had fun then, never got bored im now goin to have a pint for the old fellas, :drinks:

Guest little lurcher
yes i remember gerry bray, went to his place once with jonny white, the best pair of yard boots ive ever had came from there, and a siskin mule, i called him sid. happy days we had fun then, never got bored im now goin to have a pint for the old fellas, :drinks:

i have got a fantastic piece the spotted horse and pony society done on gerry about his exports to australia, you are welcome to read it and send back , dad was best mates with gerry and his wife audrey, you may then remember my dad too or grandad , the docwras from great yarmouth, scrap dealers and horse breakers/dealers, it is us that have a lot of the horses on the seafront landau`s :victory:

oh thats really sad, why have they closed it? elf n safety?

I,ve spent great times up there, old Trevor the Porter, in his white coat got me a few New Forrest ponies years ago.I once travelled home with a kid goat on my lap, one that escaped being turned into curry :yes:

I haven't been for a few years, but I used to pop in if I was in the working in the area dressed in a shirt & tie.It used to freak some out as they thought I was someone official spying on them.They used to siddle up and start asking random q's.They only relaxed if I talked to a few people I know there.

its a shame its gone such a iconic place. :no:

yes i have seen the carrages along the front, but i don,t remember the family,the market was closed because of the new emission law, and the age of lorrys, they would have to pay £200 to come in, and then old mr steel died, and the boys said it was,nt worth carrying on,so thats that. when i left school about 1975, i worked for a lady dealer, gloria gaynor,(not the singer), and her yard man paddy, these days were to be my learning curve for horses , unfortunenatlely paddy liked his drink to much, and he killed his self one night, gloria was never the same, i left and went into hunt service, and a few years later learned she had died, thanks to all who replied all the best,desertdog.

i think this pretty sad meself, i just found out today the horse market has been closed down, i spent alot of my youth going there another little market gone,it was a bit of contraversial place and some times in the news under the watchful eyes of antis and rspca, a meeting place ,as a boy i can remember going with me mates dad in the lorry just for a day out, id come home with goldie mules, and chickens, ah well i have me memories, im sure there,d be lads on here that used to go,

thats a shame its closed spent many good days there, and you could get just about anything you wanted

i suppose they will build a mosque there now

i can remember when the market was the only place that you didnt see asians now look at it, enough said i reckon,heres to abscent friends :drinks:

your right there dd not many white faces around southall now

there used to be a few good markets about in the 70s/80s did you ever go to hertford market i used to buy and sell alot of stuff there and beccles market in suffolk and diss market in norfolk tring market in hertfordshire well i think they are nearly all gone now such a shame but still have good memories of market days :thumbs:

another market away :thumbdown:

to be honest most of the horse markets are in a bad way now :icon_eek: not much trade going on at them and the trade that is going on is outside the ring . the markets take some amout of stick from the R.S.P.C.A. at horse markets aswell