Pit Bull News

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Yeppers. I figured That title would have you shit heads from the arsepca flying in here like shit seeking missiles. Not to mention half the wanna be 'Dog Fighters' on this site. So that means about a third of the active membership, right?

Cool. Take a look at this. Ye'll have to excuse the weird way it may translate in c/p. But I'll leave a link to the original at the bottom. Though that'll probably last as long as a mouse in a weasles den.

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - It's a dog's life. And for Leo it couldn't be better.

Leo — rescued from heavy chains that confined him as one of the pit bulls in former NFL quarterback Michael Vick's dogfighting ring — is a lover, not a fighter. He now happily frolics in a clown collar as he makes the rounds at the Camino Infusion Center, where he brings comfort to cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

Despite his training as a killer, Leo is a sweetheart as he visits his friends on the ward.

"He is wonderful, and all the patients love Leo," said Paula Reed, the facility's oncology director. "They really love his eyes and gentleness."

Six months ago, Leo should have been dead.

When officers raided Vick's Bad Newz Kennels in Smithfield, Va., last year, they found dogs, some injured and scarred, chained to buried car axles. Forensic experts discovered remains of dogs that had been shot with a .22-caliber pistol, electrocuted, drowned, hanged or slammed to the ground for lacking a desire to fight.

Vick, an All-Pro quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons, was suspended indefinitely and is serving 23 months in federal prison after pleading guilty in August to bankrolling the dogfighting operation and helping to kill as many as eight dogs. Three co-defendants also pleaded guilty and were sentenced to prison.

About 50 dogs were rescued.

Animal advocates are divided over whether fighting dogs can be trusted to have new lives as pets or working dogs. One of the dogs seized at Bad Newz was put down as too aggressive, but the others were dispersed to sanctuaries and training facilities across the country.

An 'incredible' difference with patients

One of them was Leo, who ended up in the care of Marthina McClay, a certified trainer and counselor in Los Gatos, near San Francisco. McClay is president of Our Pack, an advocacy group for pit bulls.

"He was a little like a caveman at a tea party," McClay said. "He didn't have a lot of training."

But after five weeks of intense instruction and supervision, and more weeks of acclimation, Leo is now — with all due respect —a pussy cat. He loves putting his head on a patient's lap and batting his big brown eyes.

"The difference that he's had with our patients has been incredible — the smiles on their faces, the joy when they see him," said Reed of the cancer center.

"Leo is a survivor and our patients are survivors, and I think they can relate to each other," she said.

Leo also touches young people on probation at the Alternative Placement Academy in San Jose, where the young men seem to identify with the former tough guy."I think they saw this dog's awful background, and it communicates to the kids that you can end up being what you want to be," McClay said.

It's the age-old story of second chances. By living his, Leo helps tear down entrenched stereotypes that pit bulls are irredeemable killers.

"Leo is definitely an ambassador to the breed," McClay said. "The staff at various facilities will say, 'I will never see pit bulls the same again.

Original Link.

Sounds like just another 'Pit', in the right hands, to me.

Man can't breed or buy himself a bigger penis. Just has to make do with what he's got.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gaz100604
dog magazine the free on line mag ran that story to .At least some one saw some sense and realised you dont have to put "fighting" dogs down

just dont trust the breed maybe cos they scare the living shite out of me lol.

Thats a lovely story , the home i worked in catered for elderly mentally ill clients & the manager often brought her dog with her & i think the bennefit the clients got from this was priceless, sadly not all homes allow visiting with animals but thoese who do make the clients lives so much brighter in my opinion :)

dog magazine the free on line mag ran that story to .At least some one saw some sense and realised you dont have to put "fighting" dogs down

just dont trust the breed maybe cos they scare the living shite out of me lol.

id have trusted my big fell r.i.p.BUSTER 100% above other breeds ive ever owned , and yes he looked the part but like in humans looks dont always make em aggressive!!!..........

Yeah I dont trust Pitball's or Staffordshire bull terriers as one attacked my Lab last weekend then it started jumping up at my throat while I had my dog round my shoulders. The NEDS that were walking it never had a :censored: lead for it. Another lot you should have a go at is NEDS/CHAVS as well as the media. Dont mind people having them but the ones that they know will attack should be put on a lead at all times. Most owners a responsable owners but it is the few that let you down.

Just my opinion

Youve already explaind the problem was more the dog being out of controll and its type of owner so why not trust the breed?

I don't trust the breed because you don't know what the owner has taught it to do if you know what I mean. If I know the owner has taught to a good nature I will probably trust that dog down as an individual, but as I said before its the few that spoil it for the good owners and I am afraid the media has done it for them. I don't trust my dog around small children, when ever a child comes up to stroke my Labrador I either pull him away or I put my hand near his mouth so he doesn't bite in a playful way or knock the child over.

As the breed was used for fighting, they will always be seen as a dog that will be labeled dangerous.

I know somebody who has a Staffordshire ball terrier and uses his dog to chase and kill cats and was aggressive to other dogs. I know its not the dogs fault, its going on instinct and what its been taught to do.

Just my opinion

DF

Guest gaz100604

and if a pit locks on ud have some job to get it off, i wouldnt trust that breed around my child or anyone for that matter look what happened to that four year old girl in st helens last year apparantley that little girl spend alot of time around that dog the dog snapped and killed her. , there dangerous vicious b*****ds. id rather be bitten my a little jack russell than a pit , just my opinion

Edited by gaz100604

A friend posted this on the ACES forum

Thought some people mind find this interesting reading.

A newspaper goes out and buys a "killer pitbull puppy" and then cant' bare to see it destroyed and smuggle it out of the country....the hypocrisy!

http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline=s...-name_page.html

Raymond as he is now called, is living with a lovely family with kids and other animals and he's got his own Blog

http://www.thepeoplespuppy.com/

Having met Raymond, he's the cutest little thing very enquisitive and so far happily socializing with other dogs.

What his temporary owner is trying to prove is that of course its not down to the breed but how the dog is raised and trained.

Yeah I dont trust Pitball's or Staffordshire bull terriers as one attacked my Lab last weekend then it started jumping up at my throat while I had my dog round my shoulders. The NEDS that were walking it never had a :censored: lead for it. Another lot you should have a go at is NEDS/CHAVS as well as the media. Dont mind people having them but the ones that they know will attack should be put on a lead at all times. Most owners a responsable owners but it is the few that let you down.

Just my opinion

You picked up your dog and put it on your shoulders but the dog was going for your throat? you wouldnt think that if the dog wanted to get to your dog that it would still carry on doing so even if on your shoulders?

I own a dog aggressive SBT, she is never off lead anywhere public, if dogs come up to her I pick her up to protect the dogs that are out of control, not doing as their owners ask to come away, there is no such thing as a bad dog or breed just bad and irresponsible owners.

As dog owners (I also own a very submissive SBT) we must understand dogs as a whole, what some people see as threatening may to the more knowledgeable be the overexcitednes (prob not a word, lol) of many Bull terriers, I have known people that like dogs but still find a SBT just too much, scary even, with their over friendliness.

and if a pit locks on ud have some job to get it off, i wouldnt trust that breed around my child or anyone for that matter look what happened to that four year old girl in st helens last year apparantley that little girl spend alot of time around that dog the dog snapped and killed her. , there dangerous vicious b*****ds. id rather be bitten my a little jack russell than a pit , just my opinion

:censored:

How many Staffords or Pitbulls have you met?

I'd rather not be bitten by any dog at all!!!

Although i wouldnt ever leave any breed alone with kids, i know of a pitbull and the owner wouldnt have to pull it away or cover its mouth to stop it biting in any manner because the only thing the dog will do is lick. You say you pull your lab away or cover its mouth to stop it "biting in a playful manner" didnt you bring it up and teach it not to put its teeth on anyone?

gaz the dog that killed the poor girl wasnt even a pitbull, the experts only probally deemd it a type because it was red. That was the fault of the idiot owner not the dog.

Good point raised, i have my american bulldog on the lead and its idiots with the attitude "my dogs alright" that cause a problem because their mutts useally over weight or wearing f*****g clothes, dont have a clue what recall is. I dont blame the dog as thats the fault of the owner. And the owner with the bull breed will always be in the wrong.

Alot of silly posts on this forum considering there was a bull breed section, i suggest a few go and do their homework before trying to comment on staffords and pitbulls.