Handy tip!

Hi I used this years ago in my gun cabinet, until i got told about my rifle stock drying out. I have now used a product from Napier for a couple of years with out any problems, sorry, :wallbash: the actually name escapes me at the moment.

Right, the drying of the stock to the extent it may split has been bugging me, so I got a hold of the old boat builder I know he is eighty three and knows his stuff about wood etc, he also used to go shooting and had many a 12g, push come to shove I asked him about drying the stock out on a rifle his reply (roughly) "what a load of bollox, the stuff they use is hard wood, kiln dried and machined, what they hell is there to dry out on a hardwood stock, its already been dried and if it was going to split they wouldn't waste their time trying to make a stock out of it, besides that its then oiled or varnished which seals it. Who told ye that shite?"

So there you go, I wasn't going to question the guy and he more or less laughed at me for asking, I wont question it might, but the possibilities are slim with a couple of tiny silica gel bags.

Like I say I have used these for the last couple of years with no problem, they are tiny and only absorb a minimal amount of moisture, if the stock is hardwood kiln dried the chances of it drying out to the extent it may split or the choice of moisture ingress of the metal working parts of any rifle has to be your own choice. I know what my choice will be.

Thanks for all the input guys an gurlz, I do take it on board and look at all the angles :good: