Squirrel 'Chaps'

Shamo

I was wondering whether anyone uses 'Squirrel Chaps' and if they are worth using? Anybody got any thoughts on their necessity and usefulness?

Studded squirrel aylmeri - not guaranteed to stop bites but will give much greater protection.

Dexter...

• 2 weeks later...
watch gary brewer,s squirrel hawking d vd and you will see them doing what they are there for

And get a copy of his "Buteos and Bushy tails",great constructive book on the subject and ive had my copy when it was first published in the early ninties.

Dexter...

Thanks for the input. I personally think they could be a good aid to help keep the Bird flying, through the early stages of learning how to tackle Squirrels anyway. 'Trappa' is right, in that the Bird should be regularly taking other prey well, BEFORE tackling Squirrels. I would still feel more at ease knowing I have done my best to help the Bird during the early Squirrel catches.

Some say the Bird needs to learn, by getting bit, how to strike in the right way etc, etc. I tend to think that way is 'baptism by fire', so will be using 'Chaps' ealy doors.

I don't use squirrel chaps, but that is because I will not deliberately fly my Harris' at squirrels. Far too dangerous quarry in my opinion, one bite and the hawk could lose a toe or worse. In five years my hawk has only taken one by accident and she was very lucky not to get bitten as she'd bound to the hindquarters and it could easily have turned and done some serious damage to her. A male Redtail is probably a better option than a Harris', its feet are more powerful, squirrels are natural quarry in the wild for Redtails and they are better evolved to deal with them unlike a Harris'.

I don't use squirrel chaps, but that is because I will not deliberately fly my Harris' at squirrels. Far too dangerous quarry in my opinion, one bite and the hawk could lose a toe or worse. In five years my hawk has only taken one by accident and she was very lucky not to get bitten as she'd bound to the hindquarters and it could easily have turned and done some serious damage to her. A male Redtail is probably a better option than a Harris', its feet are more powerful, squirrels are natural quarry in the wild for Redtails and they are better evolved to deal with them unlike a Harris'.

Ive two friends in the eastern part of the USA and they will only fly a female Red Tail at them through choice.

Dexter...