I use a pretty big knife. Obviously, for gutting you only need a small blade, i imagine a stanley knife would do.

But when out in the field, i like to split the rib cage and take the innards out, this is where the big knife comes in handy. Do any of you lads/lasses split the rib's in the field? and what knife do you use. As i now will not carry such a large knife. So i am looking for a nice little knife with a cutting blade of less than 3", that is capable of splitting rib's :D

Cheers

RH

I carry 2-3 knifes as i have a knife fetash. I take the blader rectum out via an anal pertrusion & the ribs i leave whole but do take the pluck out leaving the liver & kidneys. I also have a gerber exchange a blade saw with fine blade for splitting but am getting a proper bone saw for that at home.

I use 2 knives when Gralloaching

a locking Gerber Gator - "a tough n sharp beast" and a small Buck alpha hunter sheath

The buck has a 2.5" blade and is small and sturdy - good for getting inside the carcase to release the organs

(I bought it in Portugal for 1/2 the price shown)

I've torn a strip off an old lorry drivers reflective vest and tied this to the lanyard hole of both m'knives.

Have lost too many in the field - This flouresant yellow is easy to find when leaving the crimes scene.

post-19434-1213912027.jpg

regards

Gareth

Edited by dama
I use a pretty big knife. Obviously, for gutting you only need a small blade, i imagine a stanley knife would do.

But when out in the field, i like to split the rib cage and take the innards out, this is where the big knife comes in handy. Do any of you lads/lasses split the rib's in the field? and what knife do you use. As i now will not carry such a large knife. So i am looking for a nice little knife with a cutting blade of less than 3", that is capable of splitting rib's :D

Cheers

RH

Well I prefer a folding knife as it is easy to put in the pocket. Mine is a folder called 'Old Timer' made by Schrade with a gut hook on it Blade is about 3.5 inches. Problem with using just the knife to open up the beast is the risk of puncturing the stomach especially in the summer months when they blow up so quickly. - See

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb81/di...rn/OldTimer.jpg

For opening the cavity in the field I use a sagsaw which is small enough also to fit neatly in the pocket and does a quick job especially on reds which would otherwise take a bit of doing with a knife especially an older red stag - see

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb81/dicehorn/Sagsaw.jpg

Peter