Last minute buck !

Been having a dry period as far as bucks are concerned which is new to me as they are abundant around us .Finally broke my duck by spotting and stalking a youngster that ive seen on numerous occasions but has always been in a feild that borders a footpath .The shot has been safe enough but i dont like the idea of walkers being startled .Thats the sort of lad i am ,considerate to the core :icon_eek:

Anyway ,yesterday evening he was in a field of uncut hay grass and damn near invisable at times ,you know how it is ,one minute he's broadside then gone head down in the grass .This field slopes down to a stream and has a dip in the middle which allowed me to see the buck in good time .A crawl through the long grass got me well within 100 yds but i wasnt happy as there was a lot of grass in the scope between us .Edged closer to wthin 50 yards and could have got closer had a doe ,previously unseen ,not caught my movement and bolted .I put the cross hairs on him immediately and shot him freehand in the neck .

Well pleased with getting this youngster finally .

Long shots may be impressive :tongue2:[foxhunter] but for me the thrill lies in getting up close to a target using field craft and local knowledge :tongue2: lol.

10062008001lz6.jpg

10062008002eh8.jpg

Got to the game dealers this morning and found that the chillers were down and they were frantically skinning stuff as it came in to freeze it as the freezer is in a different building .Offered to help but health and safety dosnt allow this :thumbdown: .

Edited by foxdropper

good shooting mate, good stalk over a long shot any day :thumbs:

i find free hand trickier because my guns very front heavy.

looks like a pretty big entry in the neck, what cal/weight of bullet were you using?

Alex