i agree with the fact that if any dog of mine took a nock as seriouse as you talk about in the begining of this post id carry it back to the car and take it home the next day i would check the dog over and he wouldnt be worked for a week till i knew he was ok as already said any tiny thing that a few days rest would fix could end up killing your dog and as far as i believe you treat your dogs as you trea yourself if you ran at over 30mph into a solid lump almost as big as you would you just get up and run againe like there was nothing wrong ? fair enough you dont go home after every sill little knock but even a 12 year old knows his dog running into a tree stump and not having to pick him up dead afterwords is a sign to call it a nite.

as to keeping the dogs fit even if you give your dogs regular decent walks it is still keeping them fit to a degree or take them to the beach or if your lucky enough to know a track owner try and get a slip on a track now and againe there are hundreds of ways to do it you dont have to have your dog running top speed constantly to keep it fit.

regards kris.

its irelavent what you are doing with the dog at the moment my point was that you made it more than clear your dog hit a stump and you run it like it never happend you should be greatfull that the dog is still alive never mind the fact you will still have years of work out of it . i agree totaly that if everyone packed in the nite when there dog took a little knock no one would ever be out but you have to know when to draw the line.

regards kris.

listen fella i have been keeping running dogs for 30 odd years and i think i know a little about them ... if i thought that bitch was seriously hurt or was hurt enough to warrant packing up for the day then i would have .... after bringing that bitch on from a pup and spending hundereds of hours on her training and conditioning and carefully preparing her meals so that she has the best of everything and all the trials and tribulations we have been through together do you honestly think that if i thpought she was that badly injured i would have risked all that on a poxy rabbit ??? as i said you were not there i was so there is no way on gods earth you can make a jusgement on my call that day ... you have made your point as to your opinion i have told it from my perspective lets just leave it at that ...........

Socks you obviously know your stuff when it comes to diet, you are also well capable of training a hound, as you have stated you have had dogs for over 30 years so pleanty of experience learned thru goodtimes and bad, so if the exact same scenario were to happen again ( hopefully it never will) would you carry on working your dog be it daytime or nightime after a hefty clatter or would you call it a day or night and see how he-she was over the next few days, -week. ?

max if the EXACT SAME scenario happened again i would do EXACTLY as i did and carry on running the bitch ... as simon gower the vet told me what she had would have happened whether i ran her that day or not ... you have to take each spill as they come and gauge your dog after every one ... i have had dogs that have turned on a rabbit in the wet and have only slid the along the wet grass but i have stopped hunting that day because they were not right in my eyes and as i said earlyer with tegans bang she hit that stump fair hard but she was ok to carry on hunting .... each dog is different and some cant take a bump and some can ... each spill is different and some that seem horrendouse at the time offer little more than a bit of bruising where as others that look like a smal trip can damage tendens and even cause breaks ..... as you know in the greyhound world mate some dogs can be barged out on a bend and get up and carry on to make up good ground others that take the same knock would get up and have no go left in them .........