Duff rounds

I am new to rimfire rifles and am getting on quite well, but have a quick question.

How do you properly dispose of missfire or jammed ammunition?

I collect all my spent shells and chuck these in the recycle bin but dont know what to do with still live but duff ammo?

Thanks..

Edited by cbw

I am new to rimfire rifles and am getting on quite well, but have a quick question.

How do you properly dispose of missfire or jammed ammunition?

I collect all my spent shells and chuck these in the recycle bin but dont know what to do with still live but duff ammo?

Thanks..

Hi all we do down the range with duff rounds is pull the bullet head out and tip the powder out job done

arcpest

Arcpest, Thanks job done!

Rexdigger, will save the next lot and ask my wife to try your method!!!!!

Thanks Both!

Removing the heads is usually straight forward but at the end of the day there is always the risk of something going wrong

My advice would be to take them back from where you purchased them and tell them to dispose of them.

The rifle is brand new, and kept properly clean.

The truth is the jammed rounds were on the first trip out and there were about ten of them, I think this was a combination of nerves, incompetance and needing a few rounds through to bed in!

There have been three missfires in about 250 shots, on each occassion the cassing has been struck correctly so it looks like the ammunition is faulty rather than the rifle.

I am using Remmington subs as this is all my local gunshop stocks, however I am looking at travelling further next time as I would like to try Eley subs.

Back to pulling the heads off perhaps I wont do that again.

I am learning so much so fast at the moment I never realised the transition from air to rimfire would be so different!!

CBW

I am about halfway through a batch of 500 CCI .22LR. My pal I shoot with said he had found them to be a bit inconsistent, and so they are. Mostly they shoot where I aim, but some go quite wildly off. I knocked a hole in a horses drinking tub, which was fully 3 feet left of where I aimed. I would have thought I had shot over the top though, if I hadn't seen the water splash! Half way through one box of 100, I had about 10 which would not chamber through distortion of the bullet. The next box has been fine up to now, but I am going to take my pal's advice and source some Eley next time. Any that misfire or don't chamber, I just push nose first into the ground, usually under a hedge.

The rifle is brand new, and kept properly clean.

There have been three missfires in about 250 shots, on each occassion the cassing has been struck correctly so it looks like the ammunition is faulty rather than the rifle.

I am using Remmington subs as this is all my local gunshop stocks, however I am looking at travelling further next time as I would like to try Eley subs.

CBW

CBW before you blame the bullets, have you made a comparison between the dent from a case that went well and one that mis fired. Just because your rifle is new does not necessarily mean there is nothing wrong with it. If the dent from the mis fired case is not so deep then it could be a firing pin spring problem.

If both are uniform, do as other have recommended - try a different brand of 22. Whilst some are suggesting Eley - thats fine but do try say just 50 Winchester - I find them the most accurate having tried the rest and probably shoot >3000 each year and am still waiting for my 1st mis fire :whistling:

Peter

If both are uniform, do as other have recommended - try a different brand of 22. Whilst some are suggesting Eley - thats fine but do try say just 50 Winchester - I find them the most accurate having tried the rest and probably shoot >3000 each year and am still waiting for my 1st mis fire :whistling:

Peter

il second that i use winchester subs and never had a misfire yet

arcpest

Edited by arcpest

CBW, im with you on this one.

Ive been using eley subs since i got my rimmy and have never had a misfire. About 2 weeks ago i got a box of remingtons and had 2 misfires!!!!! Ive since gone back to eleys and havent had one misfire. Im 100% certain the remington ammo was at fault.