Alpine male and female I think These are naturalised locally along with edible frogs..They were in three big ponds and at least one garden pond I know of but thanks to twats introducing" anagram fish"(Crap)they have been wiped-out in two of the bigger ponds .

post-13773-1210501824_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:icon_eek: That's Alpines alright, mate! Good god! I never knew ye had them there.

I used to keep those too (Did a LOT with amphibians, back in the day. A past life) Never got round to breeding the Alpines though. Simply had too much else on. Working with rarer stuff mainly.

Did manage to establish a thriving population of Great Crested's north of Portsmouth though. And left a thriving garden pond full ofEuropean Yellow and Fire Bellied Toads. As far as I know, they'll still be there too.

excellent pics, just a bit off topic what camera did you use?

Hello UK shooter.Camera is my new(ish) toy. Pentax Optio S10 just a little portable digital . Hello DS . When I started seeing the Alpine newts, to be honest, in my ignorance I first thought the male and female were different species they are so unalike. I'd like to try and get some pictures of the edibles when they become active but they are pretty quick off the mark and really good at blending -in with the water lilies .My little camera might be under- lensed for the task but I'll give it a go. Out of interest ,how long do newts live ? years ago I took a garden pond from a skip and found a single palmate in it . Pond and newt were installed in my garden .I know time clouds the memory but I seem to recall seeing him for 8 or nine years and thinking it must be the original because he could'nt have bred on his own?.:thumbs:

Edited by comanche
Guest Ditch_Shitter
Out of interest ,how long do newts live ?

Good question, mate. Blowed if I know. But, if ye consider how Common Toads are noted for living a hell of a long time ..... Metabolic rate of an ice cube, I s'pose they just don't wear themselves out so quickly?

Tried Google for 'Newt Longevity'?

Out of interest ,how long do newts live ?

Good question, mate. Blowed if I know. But, if ye consider how Common Toads are noted for living a hell of a long time ..... Metabolic rate of an ice cube, I s'pose they just don't wear themselves out so quickly?

Tried Google for 'Newt Longevity'?

Well prompted DS.I've yet to realise the wonder of the Internet.I'd 've cycled down the library after work :icon_redface .Alpine can live 20 years,G Crested up to 25 in captivity - looking at 10-15 years plus for most smaller species. :thumbs:

post-13773-1210617765_thumb.jpg

post-13773-1210617832.jpg

post-13773-1210617881_thumb.jpg

post-13773-1210617903.jpg