Sit up and TAKE notice!

Guest JohnGalway

Guest JohnGalway

Rather dramatic title as I wanted to arouse the curiousity of everyone who reads this section. But, this IS something you need to read and take proper consideration of.

Hearing damage

hearing loss and tinnitus

Came home from work in good humour, had a long day and I was happy to finish up for the week. I'm also looking forward to going out shooting tonight :yes:

But, I was on another site earlier and read a topic posted by a very knowledgeable shooter and all around decent bloke. Like a lot on here he wouldn't be firing hundreds of rounds down a range, he mostly hunts I believe. So not too many shots and generally they'd be one at a time not a few in a row. He tells us in the topic the pure trial he's been through since January when he got an ear infection. Tinnitus set in after that.

I really can't say in my own words what a catastrophic picture he paints of living with that condition. Constant headaches along with a noise so loud and unceasing it drove him to almost being suicidal. Think about that for a moment, and I really mean stop reading, read it again and think how something like it would affect you, your quality of life, your family, your work.

There is no cure for Tinnitus. Please, read that again, there is no cure.

After reading his topic, I've decided to change my ways. I used to go out hunting without hearing protection, on the basis I needed to hear all that was going on around me. I still believe that. But, taking a step back from it, I have realised in no way do I want to experience something like Tinnitus. From now on I'll always have my ear protectors and plugs when I'm hunting. No more stupidity.

I realise my post won't have the same effect as his, so I've asked to reproduce it here...

Hearing Loss - A cautionary tale.

You have probably noticed that I have not been ‘on’ this forum or posted for quite a while and if I have missed a request or PM from anyone I apologise but recent circumstances have virtually precluded the use of my PC.

In December I was fine and out shooting at least 3-4 times per week, for anything and everything over the 20,000 odd acres I have permission on locally but that all changed in the New Year.

Mid January I had an ear infection, nothing serious, but one that needed antibiotics to clear it up. However, by the time my week’s course had finished I had started with Tinnitus ��" a ringing sound inside my head along with high blood pressure and constant headaches.

Without going into too much detail suffice it to say the noise gradually became so loud I was near to being suicidal. The doctor was great and helped me organise immediate visits to various Consultants and clinics as well as arranging all sorts of tests, x-rays and scans only for me to find out that I don’t have a brain tumour, or a kidney tumour or any of the dozen or so other things that might just be causing the noise. It is, in their words, ‘Tinnitus, and I need to go away and learn to live with it as there is no cure’.

The reason was not the ear infection ��"that was just the catalyst - but my loss of hearing that has happened over the years from shooting without proper protection.

I didn’t realise at the time but without exception my own lack of concern for what I believed was a minor hearing loss was the opportunity for tinnitus to begin. The hearing tests have actually shown quite a significant hearing loss especially in the ear opposite to my shooting side and that is the underlying cause.

For me the noise levels initially built up to very loud levels at a frequency of around 5800 MHz. For instance I could still hear it despite standing next to a very loud vacuum cleaner or over the noise of my vehicle on the motorway when driving on those horrid serrated concrete stretches " it was loud and was there 100% of the time. I was unable to sleep, to watch TV or even use the PC. In fact the PC and mobile / cordless phones still increase the noise inside my head sufficiently to make their use unacceptable most of the time. Over the last 3 months things have settled down a little to a loudness level of about 75% and the noise has changed frequency to around 8000 MHz and I also do seem to have perhaps 1 day in 3 or 4 when I find the noise is down to about 25% level. Better " yes ! but it is still making any semblance of normality impossible and I have only been out with a rifle 4 or 5 times since Xmas.

As an indication of the noise level and type of noise try listening to different frequencies on this site:-

http://www.tinnitool.com/en/tinnitus_analyse/hoertest.php

Turn up your PC Volume top full and turn the site volume to about ½ way and that approximates to the noise levels inside my head for most of the time.

I am in no way looking for sympathy as the reason for my predicament is all of my own making. The point of posting this thread is simply as a warning to others about something most of us just don’t appreciate could be happening to our hearing because it is so gradual and mostly unnoticed. Tinnitus, I understand, can and does hit those with hearing loss as would be expected from long term shooting without protection and I mean constant protection. I am not a Target shooter and therefore rarely shoot more than a handful of rounds at a time at any one time and usually it is single shots. In the field I have never worn protection because I could neither hear what was going on around me nor comfortably shoot with a headset on. I was also unwilling to spend £500 on a set of the digital ear inserts.

I know most of you are the same as me and because of that fact alone I am telling you to start taking care of your ears. The hearing loss you may get from shooting is something you can easily live with " in fact it can be an advantage when the wife says it is time to wash up " but the onset of Tinnitus could be equally as devastating to you as it has been for me especially when you are told there is no cure.

John, do you know if he had a sound moderator? Reason being that I don't consider a moderated 223 to be that loud, for example. My 243 isn't too bad either. If I was spending all day with it, then I would wear muffs, but when out and about it just doesn't seem loud enough.

That said, every now and then, when I am close to trees or whatever, there is enough noise that I do stop and think about it.

I would imagine that without a moderator, you need muffs for almost every gun - I shot an unmoderated 22-250 for a while, and that was definitely loud enough that I needed muffs on if using it.

Guest JohnGalway
John, do you know if he had a sound moderator? Reason being that I don't consider a moderated 223 to be that loud, for example. My 243 isn't too bad either. If I was spending all day with it, then I would wear muffs, but when out and about it just doesn't seem loud enough.

That said, every now and then, when I am close to trees or whatever, there is enough noise that I do stop and think about it.

I would imagine that without a moderator, you need muffs for almost every gun - I shot an unmoderated 22-250 for a while, and that was definitely loud enough that I needed muffs on if using it.

I'm not 100% sure about moderators, but as he has a fine selection of firearms I would presume he has used moderators at some stage. Let me tell you about unmoderated .223, it certainly is loud enough to damage your hearing. I've damaged mine, I've noticed it and so have other people. I've lost count how many times I've asked people to repeat stuff. People joke and ask if I'm deaf and I answer well err yeah, sort of. I've often, in the past, come away from a shot with my ears ringing and hurting, .223 plus shotguns. Also .22 HV rounds have hurt my ears. Those are my personal experiences firsthand, please do take care as once you're hearing is damaged it can't and won't repair itself.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:no: First response and it's the old, " Yeah, well, but; It won't happen to Me ....." mind set kicking in look.

How many of us see the kids on buses with their walkmans going " Tish! Tish! Tish! " in Our ears and think; 'Stupid c***. Ye think that's clever now? You wait!'.

Well, I always thought that. That's why I spent about five years only listening to Radio 4 (Conversational radio) at normal conversational levels. " So it won't happen to me. " I Thought!

As I type this, as ever for the last four or five or what ever years, I have a f*cking DC 10 jet engine screaming in my right ear. It's there as I go to bed. It's there in the pub. It never has and never will go away. Lately I've begun to wonder about my left ear. The one I need to thrust at people in order hear their speech.

But you go on. All of ye. Ignore that bloke. Ignore John bringing it before ye. Ignore me.

Tinnitus hits like a high speed train out of f*ckin no where. Try ignoring it when, one day, maybe soon, you too realise that noise has nothing to do with ye computer. And ..... isn't it growing in volume ....? Then ye'll see.

Repeat: Tinnatus gives No Warning. And it doesn't need a constant, deafening roar to bring it on. It just afflicts ye with one, till death releases ye from it.

Carry on.

Guest JohnGalway

Exactly. Now, I did say I dramatised the title to get people looking. Guilty as charged there. But, and it's a big massive pink elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about but the account I posted, my own account and the others ones posted are happening all over the world to real people. There's an excellent chance you'll damage your hearing to one degree or another without hearing protection. Very seriously and very honestly it does only take one loud bang to happen.

I have mild tinnitus and I can tell you it's a b*****d, I don't take any chances now, no loud music, ear defenders when working and shooting, I even use ear plugs when I go to bike race meetings.

As I say my tinnitus is mild, just a white noise hissing sound, day and bloody night, there's no let up, I can't hold a group discussion in a noisy room, I become confused and disorientated, it's a dreadful feeling.

DON'T TAKE CHANCES WITH YOUR HEARING, as it says in the write up......THERE IS NO CURE

I can only imagine what you guys are going through and sympathise with you, I certainly wouldnt want it myself. I use a moderated .17HMR..you think that would be enough to hurt someones hearing? if so would just foam ear plugs be enough to stop it, surely you wouldnt need proper full on ear defenders?

thanks

Guest Ditch_Shitter

With so many forms of ear defense available today, best place to ask would be ye Gun Shop, mate.

I've fired 12 bores and noticed the high pitched whistle their discharge used to leave in both my ears. Now, when firing .22 Lr, HMR or Hornet I hear just the shot. But then again, I'm unable to hear Much in my right ear these days anyway!

Just as an aside to all this; I was also explaining to someone just today; I can't hear a good many birds either now. Wood Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Swifts, many others. I've completely lost a certain range of hearing.

I personally can't emphasise enough; Risk it and ye stand to lose it. And once it's gone it's (F*cking well) Gone! No time for regrets. No second chances. Life beside a jet engine - for EVER.

Please don't guess, hope, make excuses. Expensive, top of the range hearing defense? I'd pay a Lot more to be rid of this. But no money in the world can turn the clock back for us, The Damned :no:

It's a very valid point and I do know 2 people who have this horrible complaint (as it happens nothing to do with shooting).

Whilst I go along with the moderator view, and they are useful, I believe there is a very strong arguement for BANNING Muzzle Breaks on health a safety grounds. If you are unfortunate enough to be close to one then not only do they nearly blow your head off, the ground often vibrates below your feet as well!